• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odonata ID confirmation needed - Düsseldorf, Germany (1 Viewer)

David_

Germany
Hi,

once more I am asking for confirmation for some IDs. All pictures taken two days ago in Düsseldor, Germany.

Is this a Scarlet dragonfly? Couldn‘t get photos from another angle as it was only landing at the side of the trail for a few moments before it flew away and did not return (luckily I had the camera ready when it appeared). I can‘t see any black, so it is a Scarlet?
35EB2E3A-7159-4A5E-8DC5-9F0451FE93A3.jpeg

Moustached darter? Could not move around the dragonfly to shoot from another angle. My ID is based on vulgar scale and the black around the frons
B0B86233-EEBC-4339-A3D4-9C00E7354B53.jpegAD0FAEB6-169C-408B-8422-893D7CF538CB.jpeg7CF2E4C0-7083-443D-A840-2A27D351B610.jpeg

Last one I am pretty sure is a female banded demoiselle only thing which makes me a bit unsure about the ID is the missing white pseudopterostigma. Also there were some banded demoiselle males showing territorial behavior a bit further down the ditch.
1343696E-A34A-4409-A376-32C0015DA447.jpegC63F4121-6430-4569-9E7F-A93E01625CEF.jpeg
Thank You!

Yes - the red one is a male Scarlet Darter (Crocothemis erythraea). The yellow is a young female Scarlet Darter. Agree on the female Banded - the pseudopterostigmas don't always show well.

Yes - the red one is a male Scarlet Darter (Crocothemis erythraea). The yellow is a young female Scarlet Darter. Agree on the female Banded - the pseudopterostigmas don't always show well.
Thank you. Do you mind to help Me what features make the yellow one a Scarlet Darter? After looking at it again I think I see the amber patch on the wing base and the color of the pterostigma matches Scarlet Darter better than Moustached. Anything else that I missed?

I took your image of the young female Crocothemis and put some ID pointers on it. A good starter for determining is you have a darter (Sympetrum sp) or a similar looking / sized Libellulid is to look at how dense the venation is off the leading edge (costa) of the wing. Sympetrum sp usually have 6 1/2 Ax (antenodal crossveins - the veins running between the costa and the subcosta between the wingbase and the node). I can see your individual has more than that - most of my Crocothemis pics show 10ish Ax. I think the other id pointers are self-explanatory from the annotations (but I would as I wrote them!)david.jpeg

I looked up in the European Atlas and I think the only other species of dragonfly in Germany which has red over blue eyes is Red-veined Darter (Sympetrum fonscolombii) - an immature male at distance might be confused with an immature male / young female of Crocothemis.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back