• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OM-D EM-1/Zuiko ED 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO w/1.4 Tele....BIF? (1 Viewer)

mlav51

I just purchased the OM-D EM-1 and the Zuiko 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 Tele and wonder if anyone has experience with this with birds in flight pics. what the best AF settings are and any helpful hints to shorten my learning curve. I know that the EM-1 is not ideal for BIF shooting, i'm just wanting to do the best I can with it.

I've searched for feedback on this subject but have not seen anything.

the other OM-D EM-1 thread has not had action since the launch of this new lens.

thanks,

Mike

Last edited:
I would love to know the answers to your question too.
Just in case you missed it Olympus have now got firmware 3.0 out for the EM-1 which is supposed to improve C-AF and makes C-AF available in H continuous mode up to 9fps so hopefully that might help.

I would love to know the answers to your question too.
Just in case you missed it Olympus have now got firmware 3.0 out for the EM-1 which is supposed to improve C-AF and makes C-AF available in H continuous mode up to 9fps so hopefully that might help.

thank you Mike.

yesterday I did do that upgrade from firmware 1.1 to 3.0 and then went out to take some test shots. they were encouraging. in CAF it did seem to lock on and hold much better.

today i'm going back out to try some more.

Mike

Last edited:
Mike,
Welcome! FYI, the Olympus users forum here is a pretty small group. You may find more activity on other forums like mu-43.com. I like mu-43.com; it's a pretty thriving community and very civil for the most part... But please come back to Bird Forum too. Here's a thread I was following on mu-43.com.
http://www.mu-43.com/threads/73803/

As for BIF tips, I don't yet use my Olympus E-M1 for BIF. That might change when the Olympus 300mm lens comes out later this year. But in general, practice helps a lot. Go to a place with lots of gulls actively flying around if you can. Experiment and report back to us what you learned. I try to constantly be aware of the possible need for exposure compensation, since often a bird in flight is much darker than the surrounding sky, or occasionally with a white bird the reverse is true.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Dave

Is it still not possible to set and save setting on how large AF and exposure squares should be on an Oly?

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back