• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oman non-breeding Terns (also Gull-billed & Bridled) -- Masirah Island & Musandam (1 Viewer)

AFM

United States
I have been seeing these terns with black bills and partially black heads (first 5 photos) all over Oman and I think they are non-breeding Common Terns but could also be White-cheeked, Whiskered or Roseate Terns. These photos were all taken between April 20-24 on or near Masirah Island, Oman. Photos also include a Little Tern and a Greater Crested Tern, for size reference.
Then there is a photo of a very similar looking tern but you can see by the Lesser Crested Tern next to it that it is actually much larger. I am assuming it is a Gull-billed Tern transitioning into breeding plumage because I don't see the yellow tip characteristic of Sandwich Terns, but I am unsure.
Finally, some pictures of what I believe is a Bridled (not Sooty) Tern taken this morning (April 25) in Khasab Musandam in the Strait of Hormuz (Omani Exclave near UAE). Back seemed to be more gray than black and white forehead seemed to extend past the eye, hence my guess that it is Bridled not Sooty. But Terns are definitely not my strong-suit so wanted to get others' opinions on this!

Attachments

• Common Terns & 1 Little .jpeg
    Common Terns & 1 Little .jpeg
    630.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Common Terns & 1 Little.jpeg
    Common Terns & 1 Little.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • Common Terns & Greated Crested.jpeg
    Common Terns & Greated Crested.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Common Terns Breeding.jpeg
    Common Terns Breeding.jpeg
    548.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Common Terns non & breeding.jpeg
    Common Terns non & breeding.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Gull-billed & Lesser Crested.jpeg
    Gull-billed & Lesser Crested.jpeg
    386.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Here is also an eclectic mix of flying tern photos with partially black heads, but I don't remember the size of these particular individuals which may make them harder to ID. They are also likely not all the same breed. All were taken near Masirah Island on April 23.

Attachments

• Tern Flying 8.JPG
    Tern Flying 8.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • Tern Flying 7.JPG
    Tern Flying 7.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Tern Flying 6.JPG
    Tern Flying 6.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • Tern Flying 5.JPG
    Tern Flying 5.JPG
    814.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Tern Flying 4.JPG
    Tern Flying 4.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • Tern Flying 3.JPG
    Tern Flying 3.JPG
    832.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Tern Flying 2.JPG
    Tern Flying 2.JPG
    931.4 KB · Views: 25
When were out-of-plumage terns ever not a Big Problem...
Pic 1, 3rd from right + pic 2, front row, 3rd from left (same bird?) - near-breeding white-cheeked tern?
Pic 2, just below right of centre, head down - bridled tern?
Pics 3-5, all except the greater crested/swift tern - common terns?

photo [pic 6] of a very similar looking tern but you can see by the Lesser Crested Tern next to it that it is actually much larger. I am assuming it is a Gull-billed Tern transitioning into breeding plumage because I don't see the yellow tip characteristic of Sandwich Terns, but I am unsure.
Can't see this as a gullible tern - and it should be a bit smaller than the lesser crested tern, not bigger. I'd easier see it being some odd plumage/bill-colour of lesser crested.

Finally, some pictures of what I believe is a Bridled (not Sooty) Tern
Not posted.

your "gull-billed" looks like sandwich to me. Its back is slightly lighter in colour than the lesser-crested next to it [to my eyes] and its bill is the right shape. Flight feathers are perhaps darker than expected but not impossibly so.

Thank you so much Butty! I'd seen you post on similar questions and was hoping you might be able to help :D
Pic 1, 3rd from right + pic 2, front row, 3rd from left (same bird?) - near-breeding white-cheeked tern?
Oh yes I had noticed the gray plumage and wondered about that! It is the same individual, and I have another photo of it in a different pose that I'll add too, in case that helps.
I have two more pictures of that tern that I can attach as well (with the White-cheeked Tern on the left side). Sadly it is preening in all my photos, so a bit hard to know!
Pics 3-5, all except the greater crested/swift tern - common terns?
Okay that is a relief, that was my guess too but it's always good to have a second opinion. Not a new bird for my life list anyway so the stakes aren't quite as high!
Can't see this as a gull-billed tern - and it should be a bit smaller than the lesser crested tern, not bigger. I'd easier see it being some odd plumage/bill-colour of lesser crested.
Yes I think you must be right, and I realized that the bill is completely the wrong shape for a gull-billed tern!

Not posted.
Oops silly me! Will be sure to attach them this time! Those are the photos of the tern on a buoy.

Attachments

• Bridled Tern 4.jpeg
    Bridled Tern 4.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 28
  • Bridled Tern 3.jpeg
    Bridled Tern 3.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Bridled Tern 2.jpeg
    Bridled Tern 2.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Bridled Tern 1.jpeg
    Bridled Tern 1.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 28
  • White-cheeked Tern?.jpeg
    White-cheeked Tern?.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Bridled? 3.jpg
    Bridled? 3.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Bridled? 2.jpg
    Bridled? 2.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Bridled? 1.jpg
    Bridled? 1.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 26
your "gull-billed" looks like sandwich to me. Its back is slightly lighter in colour than the lesser-crested next to it [to my eyes] and its bill is the right shape. Flight feathers are perhaps darker than expected but not impossibly so.
This crossed my mind too, because it really did seem a bit bigger than the lesser crested that was there, and I think sandwich terns are supposed to be slightly bigger than lesser crested? I've added the other photos I have of this bird, including two with the lesser crested walking right next to it for size comparison

Attachments

• LC & Sandwich?.jpeg
    LC & Sandwich?.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 13
  • LC & Sandwich.jpeg
    LC & Sandwich.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Sandwich? 1.jpeg
    Sandwich? 1.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Sandwich? 2.jpeg
    Sandwich? 2.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 10
  • Sandwich? 3.jpeg
    Sandwich? 3.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 10

The head pattern, which is essentially the same as that of the other terns around it as confirmed by the additional photos in post #5 (encircled red), rules out Bridled/Sooty, as does the prominent white fringe on at least one tertial. See also the suggestion of pale grey upper mantle in these photos.
The most logical option is that this is a White-cheeked (or Common?) Tern with soiled or somehow unusually dark wing coverts (photographic effect perhaps?).

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back