• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orchid ID? (Penmon Point, Anglesey) 25-05-2023 (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All

There were a couple of small plants near a footpath high above the point in Penmon.

I was thinking early purple orchid (Orchis mascula) and I understand that there is some variation in flower colour etc.
Most of the pictures I have seen show a green stem whereas this one has a reddish stem. Though I think this is it.

Can someone please confirm ID?

Yours, Gareth

Attachments

• S2.jpg
    S2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 14
I thought the spur was normally blunter than this, but it is stout and upcurved which it should be. I guess it is early purple orchid. Doesn't strike me as a Dactylorhiza.

I thought the spur was normally blunter than this, but it is stout and upcurved which it should be. I guess it is early purple orchid. Doesn't strike me as a Dactylorhiza.
Thanks Butty. The shape of the plent doesn't look like a Dactylorhiza as you say, far too open. The only thing that I found like it was
Loose Flowering orchid (Anacamptis laxiflora) but these look to be much bigger and as rare as RHS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back