• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panama in the green season, August 2022 (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Dear all,
I was asked to provide some information about our recent trip during the rainy season. This is going to be a somewhat shorter entry than some, because I have used the Ebird trip report option, link will be provided below. Photos will generally be added into the birdforum gallery, the link will also be provided below. According to Ebird, the total number of species observed during this period was 263, of which 15 were lifers for me.

As an overview, my wife and I arrived in Tocuman airport late on the 10th, stayed at Canopy tower for three nights, after which we were transferred to Canopy Lodge where we stayed for five nights (guiding was available these two places, Jorge in the Tower and Danilo at the Lodge). The following day we were transported back to the airport where we had a rental car waiting; this was used for traveling to Azuero Peninsula where we stayed another three nights in Heliconia Hotel (guiding to Finca Velasquez on one day). Next stop were three nights in Las Lajas (in Chiriqui) and finally three nights in Hotel Crowne Plaza Airport (guiding to Cerro Jefe/Cerro Azul one day) next to Tocumen, flying back home on the 27th. (For a more detailed day by day account see the Ebird report).

We were quite lucky with mammals on this trip. Central American Agouti was daily while we were in the canal area and El Valle and also was seen a few other places. Sloth in more or less the same with both species seen most of the time: Hoffmann's Two-toed and Brown-throated Three-toed Sloth. Nine-banded Armadillo was seen twice during the 11th near the Tower. Lesser Capybara at the Ammo ponds, and Woolly Opossum at the Tower. Tamandua Anteater the last morning at the Tower. Mantled Howler Monkey was heard a number of times but only seen once, the first day at the Tower. Geoffroy's Tamarind Monkey were seen twice, in the old Rainforest Resort area (Gamboa) and along the Hacia Rio Indio (El Valle). Collared Peccary showed up with 3 on Old Gamboa Road. Variegate and Red-tailed Squirrels were seen many days while Western Dwarf Squirrel was seen twice in the Cerro Jefe/Cerro Azul area. A bat hunting around the Dining area of the tower was Lesser Mastiff Bat, and White-nosed Coati was seen in the Ammo Dump Ponds area. Finally, I missed a Coyote that was seen when we visited the pacific coast from the Lodge.

Trip report link:

My content in the Birdforum gallery:

Niels

Looks like you did pretty well for yourself. I dipped on Crested Bobwhite and Veraguan Mango, but I guess all the more reason to return. For such a tiny country Panama definitely could warrant multiple trips!

I also dipped on several species, partly due to running out of time due to rain. If planning this trip over, I would have taken the seven nights option at the lodge instead of five.

This was my third visit to Panama, so even with a few endemics I haven’t seen, next trip will go elsewhere.
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back