• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax PF-80ED + Baader zoom Mark IV ? (1 Viewer)

pluton

Does anyone know if the Baader Mark IV zoom focuses its full range on the Pentax PF-80ED telescope? if so, how many magnification ..?
Thank you.
Pluton.

Hi Pluton, The range whould be 20x-60x. The original pentax zoom it an 8-24mm, same as the Baader and the range is 20x-60x, so that is one question out of the way. This Mk IV versión has been optimized to reach focus on this type of spotters, minimizing the distance from the zoom to the scope mount. The problem with Pentax scopes is that the bottom of the mount features an stop notch, that fits the Pentax eyepieces, but prevents some eyepieces to sit completely in there.. This can be easily fixed with a small cut, to the bottom of the astro barrel about 3 squared mm, in the event that this would be the case. The other possible problem it's the tightening ring of the Pentax mount lifting the eyepiece when secured in place. This happened to me with the PF65. When i inserted an eyepiece in the mount, İt sat flush on the mount, but when the ring was closed to secure the eyepiece, the motion lifted the eyepiece a few mm, and it was no way to push it down. If the eyepiece was too close to the focal point, then this could be a problem.
I don't know if those problems actually affect the Baader Mk IV, but those are the design features of Pentax scopes that prevented some eyepieces to focus when i owned the Pentax.

Hi Pluton, The range whould be 20x-60x. The original pentax zoom it an 8-24mm, same as the Baader and the range is 20x-60x, so that is one question out of the way. This Mk IV versión has been optimized to reach focus on this type of spotters, minimizing the distance from the zoom to the scope mount. The problem with Pentax scopes is that the bottom of the mount features an stop notch, that fits the Pentax eyepieces, but prevents some eyepieces to sit completely in there.. This can be easily fixed with a small cut, to the bottom of the astro barrel about 3 squared mm, in the event that this would be the case. The other possible problem it's the tightening ring of the Pentax mount lifting the eyepiece when secured in place. This happened to me with the PF65. When i inserted an eyepiece in the mount, İt sat flush on the mount, but when the ring was closed to secure the eyepiece, the motion lifted the eyepiece a few mm, and it was no way to push it down. If the eyepiece was too close to the focal point, then this could be a problem.
I don't know if those problems actually affect the Baader Mk IV, but those are the design features of Pentax scopes that prevented some eyepieces to focus when i owned the Pentax.

Great job in explaining this to Pluton. This sums up the Pentax Spotters design flaw with their ocular ports when it comes to using other 1.25” eyepieces. I would also add that one can stop eyepieces from rising up when tightening by removing the thin flexible inner ring of the Pentax ocular port. Then one could use some form of friction tape or some other method to hold the eyepiece in place. Removing the thin flexible inner ring can be put back in at anytime with no harm physically to the normal operating of the ocular port.

Does anyone know if the Baader Mark IV zoom focuses its full range on the Pentax PF-80ED telescope? if so, how many magnification ..?
Thank you.
Pluton.

It won't focus to infinity out of the box, you have to do a slight modification. Then is works a treat. I've posted what I did on these forums.somewhere.
Ron

I found some of those posts, but if i am not mistaken, the eyepiece you used was the Mk III..the hardware differences would make the eyepiece fit in a similar fashion to your modification, i think

I found some of those posts, but if i am not mistaken, the eyepiece you used was the Mk III..the hardware differences would make the eyepiece fit in a similar fashion to your modification, i think
I have tried both, the mk 4 is the one I got to work. Not sure about the mk3

Ron

I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on the Baader zoom, primarily for my telescopes. I like the fact that it comes with a 2” barrel to go along with my 2” optical train.
But I also need to be sure about the focus issue for my Pentax 65 and 80mm spotters.
Aside from that I like the physical size of the Baader which is a lot smaller than the Pentax 8-24. The Baader seems more proportionately sized for the spotters.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back