• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Perth, Australia, bird song ID request (1 Viewer)

dazvoz

Australia
I heard a bird in the branches overhead in the Darling Scarp, about 25 km east of the CBD of Perth, Western Australia. (09 April 2024, 1530 local time).

Here's a recording.

I could catch site of it but its song was a remarkably pure note, always in 3 sets of 12ish toots.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Hi dazvoz and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Thanks for the welcome, delia todd.

mjh73, that seems like a good prospect. It doesn't sound exactly like examples that I can find but I suppose there is some variation. Thank you.

I heard a bird in the branches overhead in the Darling Scarp, about 25 km east of the CBD of Perth, Western Australia. (09 April 2024, 1530 local time).

Here's a recording.

I could catch site of it but its song was a remarkably pure note, always in 3 sets of 12ish toots.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a Rosella to me, I often use that call to bring in Pale-headed Rosella here in Brisbane.

Thanks for the welcome, delia todd.

mjh73, that seems like a good prospect. It doesn't sound exactly like examples that I can find but I suppose there is some variation. Thank you.
Pretty much bang on for nominate subspecies of Western Yellow Robin.
Morcombe app (if you have it) has it listed as 'piping whistle' call variant.
Couple of recordings in ebird also a good match.

No need to surrender @Tom Tarrant , it wasn't a war!
Always happy to have my ID calls tested, and still possible a Western Australian will pop up and correct us both :)
I've not seen / heard WYRobin or WRosella first hand for years.

Thank you, Tom.

I think I'm still leaning towards the Western yellow robin idea. This recording here is quite a good match: utterly pure notes, on the spectrogram it shows as a single narrow peak at 2550 Hz, width-at-half amplitude maybe 60 Hz, no discernible harmonics: it was that purity of note that piqued my interest. The Rosella has more of a "swooping" tone if you see what I mean. Thank you both for pointing me to great resources.

I'm not a Western Australian, but I spend a fair bit of time in that part of the world. I've heard this call from Western Yellow Robins a few times, most recently in November 2023, so it's still relatively fresh in my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back