• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Petition to change Broads Authority Speed Limit Byelaws 1992 (2 Viewers)

petehasset

The Norfolk Broads have a proud history of both boat building and wildlife conservation.

The Broads Authority Speed Limit Byelaws 1992 allow engines to be tested at speeds and in locations that cause significant harm to birdlife on the River Yare at Strumpshaw Fen and Buckenham Marsh Nature reserves, causing continual erosion of the banks where they nest.

Nests are frequently swamped by the wash from fast boats, and recently 2 swans were killed when hit by such boats.

Due to the above, I, along with the support of the Green Party, have started a petition to change the practice and the by-laws to prevent bank erosion, nest swamping and accidents that threaten the birdlife on the River Yare at Strumpshaw Fen and Buckenham Marsh.

You can register your support by signing our petition, clicking the following link http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/birds-and-boats-on-norfolk-broads.html

Thanks in advance for all of your support :)

Nice one Pete, I've signed.

There is no worse feeling than watching a cracking nature reserves' main footpath break off into the river bit by bit thanks to companies testing the speed of large boats. Most of these boats will never need to go that fast again as they are just used on the broads.
The river bank path cannot be built up as it is a flood alleviation area for Norwich, so once the big wake cuts through the bank that's it folks. Not only will that mean that the footpath is compromised but the dirty/sewage/saline river water will then compromise the fresh water ecosystem of Strumpshaw Fen on a more regular basis.
All that is before even mentioning events such as the swans that they piled straight through (caught on camera) or the Kingfisher nest that was washed out this summer.

Sign now!

JUST SIGNED PETITION ,for those who have not witnessed this very damaging testing all i can say is if you had witnessed it you would not hesitate in doing so,trust me when they test run they do it without any respect for bird/bankside care.A few years back when i used to fish this streach of water i was fishing with my son(who was only 10 at the time) this test run totally ignored us fishing in our boat and the wash from the test was at least three feet high and how we avoided capsizing was amazing.They have caused so much damage on this streach its about time action was taken.

168 page views and only 21 signatures, come on guys, its free, only a couple of clicks and could potentially make a difference to nature- a no brainer!

168 page views and only 21 signatures, come on guys, its free, only a couple of clicks and could potentially make a difference to nature- a no brainer!

"Shamed" into eventually signing up ... like you say only takes a couple of minutes.

Thanks for the reminder! Chris A.

109th to sign.

I hope that there are many more people to sign this petition, as there really does need something to be done to stop the erosion of the rivers bank. I saw several boats coming down the river past Strumpshaw RSPB reserve yesterday, at a speed fast enough to cause large bow waves. causing water to lap at the bank for some time after it had pasted. So it is private boats and companies testing their craft that are basically ruining the banks of the broads, that they depend upon for their business and leisure, with out taking into account the environmental damage they are causing by opening up their boat to speed over the river limit. It would seem to me that they will only stop their stupidity only when it's to late. The damage may to wide or to great to recover from.
I hope that this kind of thing can be stopped so that we can all go on enjoying the Broard and and all they have to offer.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back