• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phil Vines 1947-2021 (2 Viewers)

KenM

I was saddened to hear of Phil’s passing away last week.
I first met Phil on the KGV/William Girling reservoir group during the ‘70’s-‘90’s, where we often exchanged local birding information.

Phil was an enthusiastic, committed and extremely helpful birder, who often rang me when there was a local rare or “titbit”.
I remember receiving a call from him with if memory serves, an extremely high count of B.N.Grebes on the Girling…37!

He certainly found some great birds for London, with no less than 3 separate Red-necked Phalaropes!
Can recall seeing him on one occasion descending the 45 degree grass bank looking slightly worse for his exertions exhorting “Red-necked Phal mate!..Red-necked Phal!, seemingly oblivious to the blood dripping off his wrist after vaulting the barbed wire fence!
He was also the first to arrive at the 1990 Naumann’s and greatly assisted with the ID!

In his day he was a “big lister”, with further afield notching up no less than three Wallcreepers!!! (believe one was a returning bird from the previous year).
With that pedigree he certainly deserves a mention and may he still tread the birding “Happy Hunting Grounds”.

Will always have the memories Cheers mate👍

Also sad to hear of Phil's death.

Like Ken, I got to know Phil through visiting the KGV Reservoir in London in the 1990s, as a beginner, where Phil was always very helpful to me - cheerful, straightforward & positive. He certainly had a great interest in birding and always seemed objective & constructive in his approach when dealing with the birding world.

I'd join him by the KGV 'gap' to watch for spring passage, mostly over the south basin and we'd especially enjoy any Arctic Terns that might arrive. One speciality of Phil's was the May morning Little Tern.

We'd share news, with me twitching his KGV Ortolan, White-winged Black Tern, and a 70 strong Scoter flock amongst many other scarcities, whilst Phil rushed out to confirm, in turn, my London Ortolans, Phals, Little Auk, Bluethroat, Woodchat Shrike and Barred Warbler. At the time, Phil confirmng anything I was lucky enough to find was a great help.

Phil also invited me along on numerous afternoon twitches, whereby my ornithological experience was very much expanded, seeing Slender-billed and Audouin's Gull, Ivory Gull, Gyr, Arctic Warbler and many more. And he showed little to no tendancy towards mad twitchy driving, which was a bonus.

On one twitch in Essex, for Little Bunt, crossing a ditch, Phil parted company with his clay-bound wellies, it seemed to facilitate an interesting, if inelegant, sock-dance in the mud, for my sole entertainment. This gem deserved a wider audience. Thanks Phil.

Phil did hold out in London for a few years as his circle of retiring friends mostly left for Norfolk. Eventually he followed suit, after which we lost contact - I hope he had a good number of enjoyable years up there.

So, a lot of fond memories of Phil, a decent man to me, may he twitch in peace.
Andrew Middleton

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back