• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

photos of cotingas and manakins wanted (1 Viewer)

GMK

Perhaps this isn't the most appropriate forum to post this thread, but ... Please consider submitting your cotinga and manakin photos for possible publication in our forthcoming Cotingas and Manakins monograph (see, for instance, http://guykirwan.webs.com/research.htm), to be published by A&C Black (Christopher Helm). You can send any photos that you wish to consider for publication direct to me ([email protected]). Included in the book will be Piprites, Oxyruncus (Sharpbill), Laniisoma, Schiffornis, Laniocera, Iodopleura, as well as all species and genera traditionally treated in Cotingidae and Pipridae. Please include information about where (locality and country) and when (month) your photos were taken. All photographers whose work is published will receive a free copy of the book from the publisher. Thanks!

last gaps

The search for photos for the forthcoming Cotingas and Manakins monograph is almost complete. More than 350 photos will be included in the book, as well as 32 specially commissioned plates by Eustace Barnes. Nonetheless, there are still a few gaps in the photographic collection that we’d particularly like to fill, as follows.

Green Manakin Chloropipo holochlora; any race except litae.
Uniform Manakin Chloropipo uniformis.
Golden-winged Manakin Masius chrysopterus female only.
Speckled Mourner Laniocera rufescens.
Black-chested Fruiteater Pipreola lubomirskii any plumage, especially female.
Black-and-gold Cotinga Tijuca atra female only.
Wing-barred Piprites Piprites chloris any race except the Atlantic Forest nominate.

If you can help with images of any of these species / plumages, then please contact me as soon as possible (GMKirwan (at) aol.com or guymkirwan (at) gmail.com), as we’d like to keep to our planned publication date of late 2011.

Thank you.

one gap filled

Thanks to the photographic talents of Jim Swalwell and Steven Easley, I’ve now filled the gap that was Speckled Mourner with a feast of good images displaying all of the features that identify this species, as well as covering sex-related variation.

So, here’s hoping that some folk might be able to step into the breach with the other targets on my list from a few days ago?

To give people additional options to contribute, here’s a few other gaps that, although not priorities to fill, I’d still welcome suitable images for:

Golden-breasted Fruiteater female
Snowy Cotinga female
White Bellbird female
Black-necked Red Cotinga female

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back