• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pileated Woodpeckers - Age and Gender identification (1 Viewer)

JoeGBirder

Photography and birding enjoyer
United States
Pileated Woodpeckers, the largest woodpeckers (if the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker is extinct, as it most likely is) are striking and unmistakable birds native to North America. There are a few details that help you figure out what the age or gender of the bird is. I will be using photos to help further explain these differences.

AGE -
There are two ways to tell the age of a Pileated Woodpecker. Although you can tell whether or not it is an adult, it is hard to know the exact year it is in (unlike other birds like many hawks and eagles). The best thing to look for is the structure of the crest. Adults will have fully pointed, smooth red crests. Juvenile woodpeckers, however, have shaggier and less flattened-out crests. The other thing to look for is, occasionally, color. Juveniles will sometimes be a duller color than adults. Juvenile Pileated Woodpeckers

GENDER -
There are two differences between male and female woodpeckers. Males will have a red chin strap extending from the bill unlike the other stripes, while females will sport black stripes only. Male crests will also extend all the way to the forehead, but female crests will only extend to around above the eye.

The one on the right appears to be an adult female Pileated.

Can't give you an honest answer on the one on the left.

The one on the right appears to be an adult female Pileated.

Can't give you an honest answer on the one on the left.
my crossley id guide has failed me yet again. i should probably only get info from sibley only, as he is more expirienced. should i take this down since it is incorrect?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back