• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit Confirmation - Wales - UK - May (1 Viewer)

djw0208

Hi - Looking for confirmation that these are all meadow pipit please?

Attachments

• Meadow Pipit 280519 3.JPG
    Meadow Pipit 280519 3.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 90
  • Meadow Pipit 280519 6 (1).JPG
    Meadow Pipit 280519 6 (1).JPG
    673.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Meadow Pipit 280519 8.JPG
    Meadow Pipit 280519 8.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 88
  • Meadow Pipit 280519 11.JPG
    Meadow Pipit 280519 11.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 74
Hello,
I agree with you, the first two birds are Meadow Pipits for me, too.

Do pictures 3 and 4 show the same bird? Maybe they are two birds, by slight differences in streaking to the breast, but its difficult to be sure imo.

Both show yellow base to bill that should make this (or these?) Meadow Pipits.
More, narrow (not blop/rounded/broad shaped) streaks to the center of the breast in the last picture is good for Meadow Pipit and bad for Tree Pipit.
The breast streaking of the bird in the third picture is more difficult, but it isnt no ID-book Tree Pipit, but yes, breast is within variation for both.

But the bill colour makes ID possible imo. And better wait for confirmation or correction. Thanks!

Again, location and dates could be of assistance. I think image no. 2 produces some artefacts suggesting Water Pipit but far from conclusive. Yes, Bill doesnt quite fit for WP.

Hello Paul,

interesting question. But after looking at the picture again, I think Pat might well be right and artefacts shifts this bird towards a Water Pipit.
But more pictures could well help, because I realized, that some features, I used for ID as a Meadow Pipit, could well be explained by artefacts and picture quality, too:
After a second look, I am not confident anymore, that the supercilium isnt strong enough for a Water Pipit.
Do you have more pictures? But if forced, I would still opt for a Meadow Pipit. Maybe its one of those "Island birds" with all peach/warm buffish-orange hues lost due to waer and bleaching?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back