• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit ID, 3rd September, St Mary's, Scilly. (1 Viewer)

chowchilla

This pipit (along with a second bird) were reported as Red-throated Pipit, within spitting distance of my house in Normandy.

One local birder was convinced they were; but two others quickly dismissed them as Meadow Pipits. I'm inclined to believe the latter, but as you can see, the reddish throat isn't an artefact. I was curious to get a wider range of opinions.

Attachments

• DSC01609.jpeg
    DSC01609.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC01607.jpeg
    DSC01607.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC01606.jpeg
    DSC01606.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC01603.jpeg
    DSC01603.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 104
Thank you! The two Meadow Pipit IDers were very confident it was a Meadow, but I remained doubtful. I've sat on it for weeks.

Any other thoughts, folks?

The base to the bill appears pinkish, whilst there is some (limited) contrast between the breast and belly. When combining these with the "splodge" on the chest (603) and the lack of obvious white tramlines on the mantle, the identification is confirmed as Meadow. Images showing the rump and lesser coverts would be an absolute clincher, but not needed in this case.

The base to the bill appears pinkish, whilst there is some (limited) contrast between the breast and belly. When combining these with the "splodge" on the chest (603) and the lack of obvious white tramlines on the mantle, the identification is confirmed as Meadow. Images showing the rump and lesser coverts would be an absolute clincher, but not needed in this case.
Ah right, yeah I can see where you're coming from. My pathological dislike of pipits comes back to curse me time and again, hence why I've never studied them in any great depth. Of course if the birds had called, that would have clinched it as well - I do at least know my calls.

EDIT: OK, I can see this one elicits differences of opinion. Any further input very welcome.

This is the only other (utter garbage) pic I have of the bird, if it's any help.

Attachments

• DSC01595.jpeg
    DSC01595.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 45
The white back immediately rules out Meadow Pipit.
I disagree I'm afraid, there is a range of variation in the mantle streaking in Meadow - including birds with whitish braces e.g. here and here. Although these can be obscured on Red-throated, when seen they are obviously white, giving the bird a highly contrasting appearance.

The limited orange/buff tone restricted to the throat is also seen in "northern" Meadow pipit - see here.

The limited orange/buff tone restricted to the throat is also seen in "northern" Meadow pipit - see here.
That's useful to know as it was a sticking point in the discussion between the other birders at the time.

I agree - these birds look like meadow pipit to me with nothing really suggesting anything else.
Yep, I figured as much. Still... worth getting some feedback just to be sure!

Thanks everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back