• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit - Spain (Fuengirola) (1 Viewer)

AGDK

Hello

Pictures are from last week in Fuengirola.. I would assume it's Meadow Pipit, but the supercilium seems very strong, compared to what I am use to see in Poland in February.. Other options as I can see in my bird book would be Tree-pipit or Tawny Pipit, but they don't seem to fit.. So just want to make sure, that I have made right ID with Meadow Pipit..

Thanks

Attachments

• Pipit.jpg
    Pipit.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Pipit1.jpg
    Pipit1.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Pipit2.jpg
    Pipit2.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 109
Hello,
I think the choice is between Meadow and Red-throated Pipit.

There are some threads about this difficult species-pair here on BF.

I think a Tree Pipit can be excluded by really bold and thick streaks to the flanks (yes, see the other threads here on BF. Thanks!) and wrong bill structure (and complete lack of pinkish hues there). And is it possible that a Tree Pipit can have yellowish hues on the flanks and complete lacks them on the breast? Err, no...

At first, I thought this is a Meadow Pipit, that I can ID with confidence by
  • clear olive hues on the on the scapulars and wings (most??? RTP lacks this, showing either cold-dark-grey brown or warmer brown upperparts)
  • just visible orangey tinge to the yellow bill-base
  • indistinct dark markings on the visible rump, that doesnt distract from a unmarked, pale impression (and I see an olive tinge here, too)
But the other threads here made me realize that I havent enough experience with RTP. Never saw one on the wintering grounds. Thanks!

So I would like to learn about the points I mentioned here and as alwasy hope for more comments!

Thanks Alexander for your always detailed answers.. RTP wasn't in my thoughts, since my bird book doesn't mentioned it as wintering in this area, but maybe it not that precise.. I also have no experience with RTP, so can't add anything there..

I'll wait for more people to hopefully bring their opinion..

To me, this is a very interesting individual, and my initial impression was meadow pipit as well. Admittedly, I am unsure between meadow pipit and red throated, but I would suspect it is the former based upon a brief look on google.

I have some more pictures, which are of less quality than the first.. There were all in all 3 birds for a short period of time.. Didn't see them the rest of the week.. Maybe this can help something?

Attachments

• Pipit.jpg
    Pipit.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Pipit1.jpg
    Pipit1.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 39
  • Pipit2.jpg
    Pipit2.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 39
Hello,

thanks for the new pictures!
The first bird (in your original post and in the two pictures of your second post) is a Meadow Pipit:
  • thanks to all that have commented!
  • your bird has a monster hind-claw (picture 1 in your second post), on the long end of variation. It looks so weird, that I thought it might be some artefact, but it seems real to me.
Do you have more pictures of the second (?) bird, Pipit2 ?
Yes, the extensive square black patch on the neck-side can be more evident due to errected posture, but this seems a different bird, and even a more difficult for me.

Hello,

thanks for the new pictures!
The first bird (in your original post and in the two pictures of your second post) is a Meadow Pipit:
  • thanks to all that have commented!
  • your bird has a monster hind-claw (picture 1 in your second post), on the long end of variation. It looks so weird, that I thought it might be some artefact, but it seems real to me.
Do you have more pictures of the second (?) bird, Pipit2 ?
Yes, the extensive square black patch on the neck-side can be more evident due to errected posture, but this seems a different bird, and even a more difficult for me.
I still think it's a meadow pipit. The underparts should be more uniformly (whitish) coloured, the yellowish bill base less prominent for red-throated immature. on the other hand, this does seem to show the sort of tramlines that species exhibits.

Thanks for the last replies.. Here is the only 2 pictures I have of the one, you asked about Alexander.. I don't know if they are for any further help..

I see making ID on pipits are more complicated than expected.. But it's a good learning process, so thanks for all inputs

Attachments

• Pipit.jpg
    Pipit.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Pipit1.jpg
    Pipit1.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for the last replies.. Here is the only 2 pictures I have of the one, you asked about Alexander.. I don't know if they are for any further help..

I see making ID on pipits are more complicated than expected.. But it's a good learning process, so thanks for all inputs
I'd make the same comments I made before, but additionally that these images don't show the apparent white back lines of the earlier one.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back