• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plant List (1 Viewer)

cjay

A suprising number of Vascualr Plants still in flower in suffolk.

VASCULAR PLANTS IN FLOWER RECORDED AT THE LOWESTOFT FIELD CLUB MEETING TO ALDRINGHAM WALKS SUFFOLK 12TH OCTOBER 2003
TETRADS TM 4460 & 4458.

Achillea millefolium (Yarrow)
Amsinckia micrantha (Coast Fiddleneck)
Anagallis arvensis subsp. arvensis (Scarlet Pimpernel)
Anchusa arvensis (Bugloss)
Arrhenatherum elatius (False Oat-Grass)
Artemisia vulgaris (Mugwort)
Aster x salignus (Common Michaelmas Daisy) White Flowered Form.
Avena fatua (Wild-Oat)
Ballota nigra (Black Horehound)
Bellis perennis (Daisy)
Calendula officinalis (Pot Marigold)
Calystegia sepium subsp. sepium (Hedge Bindweed)
Capsella bursa-pastoris (Shepherd's-Purse)
Campanula rotundiflora (Harebell)
Ceratocapnos claviculata (Climbing Corydalis)
Chenopodium album agg. (Fat-Hen)
Chenopodium ficifolium (Fig-Leaved Goosefoot)
Chrysanthemum segetum (Corn Marigold)
Conyza canadensis (Canadian Fleabane)
Crepis capillaris (Smooth Hawk's-Beard)
Descurainia sophia (Flixweed)
Epilobium parviflorum (Hoary Willowherb)
Epilobium tetragonum (Square-Stalked Willowherb)
Erodium cicutarium agg (Common Stork's-Bill)
Euphorbia peplus (Petty Spurge)
Geranium pusillum (Small-Flowered Crane's-Bill)
Hedera helix subsp. helix (Ivy)
Holcus lanatus (Yorkshire-Fog)
Hypericum perforatum (Perforate St John's-Wort)
Hypochaeris radicata (Cat's-Ear)
Lamium album (White Dead-Nettle)
Lamium hybridum (Cut-Leaved Dead-Nettle)
Lamium purpureum (Red Dead-Nettle)
Lapsana communis subsp. communis (Nipplewort)
Lolium perenne (Perennial Rye-Grass)
Lonicera periclymenum (Honeysuckle)
Malva neglecta (Dwarf Mallow)
Matricaria discoidea (Pineapple-Weed)
Papaver rhoeas (Common Poppy)
Persicaria maculosa (Redshank)
Plantago lanceolata (Ribwort Plantain)
Plantago major subsp. major (Greater Plantain)
Poa annua (Annual Meadow-Grass)
Polygonum aviculare agg. (Knotgrass)
Raphanus raphanistrum (Sea Radish)
Rubus fruticosus agg. (Blackberry/Bramble)
Sagina apetala subsp. erecta (Annual Pearlwort)
Senecio jacobaea (Common Ragwort)
Senecio vulgaris (Groundsel)
Silene dioica (Red Campion)
Silene X hampeana (Red Campion) A Hybrid between White & Red Campion)
Silene latifolia subsp. alba (White Campion)
Sisymbrium officinale (Hedge Mustard)
Solanum nigrum subsp. nigrum (Black Nightshade)
Sonchus asper (Prickly Sow-Thistle)
Sonchus oleraceus (Smooth Sow-Thistle)
Spergula arvensis (Corn Spurrey)
Spergularia rubra (Sand Spurrey)
Stellaria media agg. (Common Chickweed)
Taraxacum officinale agg. (Dandelion)
Tripleurospermum inodorum (Scentless Mayweed)
Ulex europaeus (Gorse)
Ulex gallii (Western Gorse)
Urtica dioica (Common Nettle)
Urtica urens (Small Nettle)
Veronica persica (Common Field Speedwell)
Viola arvensis (Field Pansy)

66 species recorded

How long did this compilation take Colin. You must have been on your hands and knees with some of them, Petty Spurge, Annual Meadow Grass, Annual Pearlwort........
Never heard of this one, Amsinckia micrantha (Coast Fiddleneck), quite new to me!
Quite a comprehensive list that is. Thanks for your patience.

WOW!!! That's dedication!!! I know that I really should learn more about the various plants and flowers in the UK....for the number of species there must be in this country, the amount that I actually know is a microscopic amount!!! Quite shaming really!!!Have to start carrying a plant field guide in my rucksack whenever I go out in future!!!
What's the best way to start? I love to paint and draw natural objects and once decided that if I did sketches of the plants, birds, flowers etc that I saw on my field trips then it would help them stick in my memory. What ACTUALLY happened was that it took me three HOURS to move less than 100 yards!!! Perhaps I just need to do very basic sketches and tick them off in my field guide as I go???
Something to work on.....

Hi Colin,
That's great! I ought to keep plant lists, as my memory is nonexistant. I always make a point of trying to I.D. every wild plant I see, or going home and looking it up if I can't, but quite a few in your list I need to look up!
Hi Gill,
My answer to learning about wild flowers has been to have quite a few books, rather than just one, as sometimes a photo will clinch an I.D., sometimes a sketch, most often a combination of lots of different accounts and illustrations. It means you can't carry them all with you which is a bind, but I started on my daily walk through the park and over the hills round here, making myself find one new plant a day, and reading about it. Then you can always keep going back to recheck. I love the very tiny plants that you don't see in the grass unless you peer, like Dove's Foot Crane's Bill, Speedwell, Eyebright, Scarlet Pimpernel, wild Thyme, etc., because I feel as if I'm discovering something secret, that most people aren't seeing.

The records only come from one or two recorders. This is usually the case with Natural History Societies nowadays.

CJ.

Hi Colin, Sorry I'm a bit slow off the mark,I did see this thread when it came out ,but then lost it.
Is 66 species more than average for that time of year?
It does sound a lot, would that be due to the weather being so warm?
I've been pruning back everything as it flowers at it immediatley comes back into bud again for another show.

I see you've listed Yorkshire Fog as Holcus lanatus, I always thought it was Festuca Glauca,Are we talking about the same plant or are there two plants with the same common name?
When is the next Meeting?
Is it a traditional to count the number of plants in flower on Christmas Day, or is it New Year's Day? :h?:

I didn't spot this thread either but it is certainly very comprehensive, and I could well believe all of those were about as this long dry summer and autumn has done the flowers a long season, and many of those species are around in Dorset, but we also have the Dorset heather which is very abundant too, often refferred to as Dorset Ling, but you never mentioned Herb Robert, or any of the cranesbills or clovers, so I imagine you got tired of going through the whole number of flora, unless you don't get those up there? Nina

I'm sure the traditional day is New Year's Day.....or at least it was in Richard Adams' book " A Nature Diary". He always goes out on New Years Day and makes a note of any flowers,birds, mammals etc that he sees. I always get out on January 1st to get my birdwatching Year List off to a good start....and if I see anything still in flower it gets noted down and put into my diary.
The Wild Flower Society run a sort of competition each year to encourage their members to become more observant. They produce their own flower diary and members fill in their sightings and at the end of the year they can send it to either Head Office or a regional coordinator(can't remember which!) and can win prizes for how well it has been filled in and/or presented......or something like that anyway! I tried it once but just didn't seem to have enough time to concentrate on just the botanical side of things...i'm just too interested in all the other aspects of the natural world to specialize in just one or two....though I really could do with learning more plants and insects!!!

Nice to hear the Lowestoft Field is still going strong. I used to be a member in 1968 till I moved to Norwich.

I remember it as being a very friendly little club with some very knowledgeable members (not me!).

Still the same but very little participaition from others.

I record flowering plants on New years Day but also record the first flowering Winter Heliotropes which normally come into flower in Late November. Yarrow, Hogweed & Cow Parsley are still flowering profusly in East Suffolk as is Oxford Ragwort.

CJ

Cheers Steve, I guessed as much.
Did I get taught anything properly at Agric. College?
Let's see what we can find in flower on New Years Day shall we ?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back