• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

please help id winter Texas coast (1 Viewer)

dengwer

United States
this bird comes to my yard but doesn't go to feeder Texas coastal area I can't id it please help

Attachments

• bird id.JPG
    bird id.JPG
    520.4 KB · Views: 91
It’s an insectivore ie…feeds on insects.
At the moment I’m struggling, seeing a similarity to an Old World Ficedula parva….which of course it can’t be 😮😮😮

So unless I’m completely missing a trick (not unknown) and or can you supply more images?, it does look “interesting!”

Am now thinking it’s an Eastern Bluebird!

Cheers

Last edited:
Could you give the date, please? - at least the month. Thanks.
Has a flycatcher look, but seems not to be. Presumably a Catharus thrush, and (I assume) the only one that should be there in winter (depending on the actual date) would be hermit thrush - though I don't see any features that would identify it as one.
There are no features that would make it a bluebird.

I took my cue from the (probable reflected light, warm buff to the flanks, and the apparent non streaking to the breast).
The only Thrush at this time should be Hermit, which normally has bold streaks/splotches to the chest also flesh coloured legs which this doesn’t appear to have?

Upon blow up and closer inspection, it does appear to have “faint” spotting to the breast which I will ascribe to an overexposed part of image, thus Hermit Thrush is most likely.

Cheers

Last edited:
Tough one. Depending how I adjust my screen, the eye ring seems rather yellow (and extends along the lore - not typical for hermit thrush), and the base of the bill seems downright red. But I can wave those away as photo artifacts. The low visibility of breast spots is really not a problem from this angle, considering the blurriness of the shot. You need a more frontal view for the spots to be obvious, especially on a fluffed-up bird in winter. Overall shape is fine for hermit thrush, and dark feet are not that unusual. So it could well be a hermit thrush, and I can't think of any better candidate. Maybe swainson's thrush, if that's possible for this time and location - just because the lores look a little yellow/buffy on my screen.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back