• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pls help-- swallows swarming/crashing into window! (1 Viewer)

jlundin

United States
Hello, I am new to this forum and wondering if anyone out there knows what's happening here.. My parents live in Avila Beach by the Bob Jones Trail and this evening witnessed something very strange.. These are swallows and they are swarming in and out of a hole in this giant oak tree by my parents' patio. So many have smashed into their sliding glass doors and died. I feel so bad for these poor birds. My parents are pretty shaken up. They have lived here for fifteen years and have never, ever seen anything like this (neither have I!!)
Thanks in advance for any insight!
Warmly,
Jaymee

Attachments

• IMG_9140.mov
    15.2 MB
Hi and welcome to BF!
Your video is really special, I've never seen anything like that either. Having swallows rush to that hole is really most unusual.
Even if there is some abundant food inside, presumably grubs or some sort of hatch, it is very unusual. Maybe get in touch with your local Audubon,
they will be able to help.
Also, they will have several alternative glass treatments, raptor decals or UV reflective stick-ons that prevent the birds from confusing a glass surface with a clear exit path.

Buy garden netting in 2x2 inch and attach it above the window and about 6-8 inches out from the wall. It will reduce bird strikes by 90% and bird deaths by 95%. Works far better than the bird decals which did not help at my house at all.

Great goodness! That's a rather amazing sight .... but so distressing too.

The only other thing I can think is that there may be a predator by that hole that would be a threat to any youngsters.

Usually when birds fly at a window they can't see the glass and think there's a clear passage through if there's another window opposite (or even a mirror). So is it possible to put something over the window for a day or two until they move on, maybe a curtain or blind? The netting might well work. It's often a case of experimenting.

Hi Jaymee and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back