• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pomarine Skua? from Calais-Dover ferry (1 Viewer)

rubatroid

United Kingdom
Hi all, I took these distant photos today from the Calais-Dover ferry. Photos rather grainy due to distance (or lens not long enough!) so some of the finer details not clear, but I'm leaning towards Pom rather than Arctic due to broad wings and overall 'bulky' feel. However I'm not at all experienced with skuas in the field (or at sea!) so would welcome feedback! Thanks in advance :)

Reuben

Attachments

• DSC_0321.JPG
    DSC_0321.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC_0326.JPG
    DSC_0326.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC_0323.JPG
    DSC_0323.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 98
Aha, you’re right! D’oh! That explains why the wings were so broad! I did say I wasn’t experienced with skua ID! 🤣🤣🤣 In hindsight I don’t know why I didn’t consider Great more carefully. Thanks for the feedback!
Juveniles often look a bit less obvious than adults because the plumage is a bit plainer and the white in the wing less extensive. It's a pitfall for juvenile Pomarine Skua.

Juveniles often look a bit less obvious than adults because the plumage is a bit plainer and the white in the wing less extensive. It's a pitfall for juvenile Pomarine Skua.
Thanks for that! I’ve not seen juv Great Skua before and had already subconsciously ruled Great out without considering/checking properly. A good learning experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back