• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Heinei Common Gull? 7th December 2014, East Scotland (1 Viewer)

Stonefaction

Dundee Birding....(target 150 in 2024).
Scotland
(Originally posted the text & pic below in Gulls subforum on Dec 14th to a resounding lack of interest in actually ID-ing the bird one way or another... Having looked at the new Gulls book and a few of the other Gull sites, I think this bird is at least 'interesting', though I suspect that more photos (which I unfortunately don't have) would be needed to be certain of Heinei - though perhaps the gull experts on here will be able to rule that possibility out immediately, or give an indication that it 'could' be Heinei. Any input welcome).

"I was looking through some of my old photos and came across what I thought was an interesting looking Common Gull. I eventually managed to find that I'd taken the photo on 7th December 2014, at Monifieth, (by Dundee) on the east coast of Scotland. There has been some discussion on Twitter about the possibility of Heinei race Common Gulls birds turning up in the UK. One of the features to look for mentioned is the unstreaked head in winter, which this bird (almost) has - though there is some faint streaking just visible. However, some of the other features do appear to be more like Canus. I suspect that it won't be anything too special, but I'd rather get an opinion from folk who know gulls ruling out the possibility, rather than wondering about it and trying to reach a decision myself. Unfortunately, I only have the one photo (as although it looked quite striking my knowledge of gull subspecies didn't go any deeper than the possibility of Argentatus Herring Gulls being a possibility locally, even if I couldn't tell them and Argenteus apart)."

Attachments

• 51742948407_d3b650f447_o.jpg
    51742948407_d3b650f447_o.jpg
    650.8 KB · Views: 78
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back