• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Osprey sighting at Hurleston (1 Viewer)

dud1z

Rye H
Afternoon all, is there any record or current knowledge that an Osprey may be present near to Hurleston Reservoir, just outside of Nantwich in Cheshire? I was driving on the main road today fom Nantwich to Chester and a very large bird came into view gliding 50m above the canal as if it was following it towards the reservoir. I am 90% sure that it was an Osprey. I imagine that the reservoir would be an ideal stop off for such a bird, so if you have an idea of currents sightings or previous then please let me know.

Thanks - Ryan

Last edited:
Afternoon all, is there any record or current knowledge that an Osprey may be present near to Hurleston Reservoir, just outside of Nantwich in Cheshire? I was driving on the main road today fom Nantwich to Chester and a very large bird came into view gliding 50m above the canal as if it was following it towards the reservoir. I am 90% sure that it was Osprey. I imagine that the reservoir would be an ideal stop off for such a bird, so if you have an idea of currents sightings or previous then please let me know.

Thanks - Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I've not heard of any recent reports of Osprey. The last report I heard was one at Doddington Pool in late June. Sounds like its a bird already heading south and may be a juvenile.

CB

A satellite tagged bird passed through that area of Cheshire last year didn't it? There is a website that shows you the movements

Thanks for the replies. I will just have to keep my eyes peeled on the forums of any other local sightings, I am pretty certain of what it was, but other sightings would support my claim and would take that inkling of doubt away.

Also, as a matter of interest Bradinho, have you any idea what the link is to the mentioned website?

Thanks - Ryan

Thanks for the replies. I will just have to keep my eyes peeled on the forums of any other local sightings, I am pretty certain of what it was, but other sightings would support my claim and would take that inkling of doubt away.

Also, as a matter of interest Bradinho, have you any idea what the link is to the mentioned website?

Thanks - Ryan

This is for the Loch Garten ospreys

Thanks - Ryan

This is my comments from the Cheshire and Wirral Birding thread - "While the topic of Ospreys is high on the minds, I found some interesting info from Roy Dennis's radio tracking website - http://www.roydennis.org/osprey/index.asp. Have a look at the migration routes this spring for Nimrod and Red 8T which both passed thru' the county un-noticed by birders"

According to a quick google, Osprey satellite tracking projects are also underway in the Lake District, Powys and Rutland.

CB

This is my comments from the Cheshire and Wirral Birding thread - "While the topic of Ospreys is high on the minds, I found some interesting info from Roy Dennis's radio tracking website - http://www.roydennis.org/osprey/index.asp. Have a look at the migration routes this spring for Nimrod and Red 8T which both passed thru' the county un-noticed by birders"

According to a quick google, Osprey satellite tracking projects are also underway in the Lake District, Powys and Rutland.

CB

the lake district one failed this year because the birds moved to a new nest of their own making, the ringers/ taggers can't get up it to tag them, but i think last years birds were tagged

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back