• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible short-billed gull Reno NV USA January (1 Viewer)

Birds4Kathy

Short-billed gulls are rare in Reno NV with the exception of a few strays that stop over near the city at a place called Sparks Marina. This past week two first winter Short-billed gulls have been reported by a number of birders at Sparks Marina so I went out to see if I could find them amongst the mobs of California and Ring-billed gulls. The enclosed photos are as close as I could come to finding these birds. I am worried that the bill is too large for a SBG. Since I have little skill at identifying gulls during their early stages of development I thought I would see if anyone could provide me with some more insight. Do any of these 3 photos look like a Short-billed Gull and if so, which ones? Thanks for your help. Kathy
BZ5A7931 Short-billed Gull small.jpgBZ5A7997 Short-billed Gull small.jpgBZ5A8058 Short-billed gull small.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back