• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Product Review: The Opticron Aurora BGA VHD 8 x 42: The Big Easy. (1 Viewer)

That was a great write up - and as an owner of the 8x42, I cannot add anything except touch on their hydro phobic coatings which are exceptionally good. The objective lenses stay clear even in atrocious weather, and I have to admit cope with wind driven rain far far better than my Zeiss SF 8x42 and Hawke APO.

A remarkable bin, and I can see that mine will be my main bin for many, many years to come. A solid 9.5/10 from me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up Ratal!

Yes indeed, the Aurora is a super nice binocular; really top notch performance for the buck.

Thanks also for mentioning those hydrophobic coatings; I wasn't sure they were there, but I assumed they would be. Still very good to know that they work well in adverse conditions.

I wish Opticron every success with this product.

With best wishes,

Neil.

A very good review. It was nice to note that this manufacturer is keen to ensure their flagship model is demonstrably assembled to the highest standard with similar attention to detail in the choice of materials and presentation. Something that cannot be said of all top end brands at the moment.

LGM

Thank you LGM, greatly appreciated.

Yes indeed, the Aurora BGA VHD is a supremely capable instrument. Quite remarkable when you also factor in its retail price.

Kind Regards,

Neil.

Ratal,

How does the Opticron Aurora compare with your Zeiss SF 8 x 42?

Cheers,

Neil.

The Opticron Aurora is 95% of the Zeiss. The zeiss wins with the edge to edge sharpness and a bigger FoV. The Opticron fades out at around 90% but is still well able to ID birds with ease as your eyes wander the entire image.

Where the Opticron shines is the delightful, creamy velvety palette of colours that bathes the viewers eye. It is far, far more relaxing and inviting than the colder Zeiss, and when you have them over water? The Opticron wins - as something the Zeiss has that stopped me dead, was a brilliant blue ring around the entire image. Bright blue. Dazzling in high glare at sea.

I sold my Zeiss, and I never thought I would ever write that, but every time I use my Opticron bins, I have zero regrets.

The Opticron Aurora is 95% of the Zeiss. The zeiss wins with the edge to edge sharpness and a bigger FoV. The Opticron fades out at around 90% but is still well able to ID birds with ease as your eyes wander the entire image.

Where the Opticron shines is the delightful, creamy velvety palette of colours that bathes the viewers eye. It is far, far more relaxing and inviting than the colder Zeiss, and when you have them over water? The Opticron wins - as something the Zeiss has that stopped me dead, was a brilliant blue ring around the entire image. Bright blue. Dazzling in high glare at sea.

I sold my Zeiss, and I never thought I would ever write that, but every time I use my Opticron bins, I have zero regrets.
Thanks Ratal, that's very interesting to know!

That sounds like an eminently sensible thing to do given your findings.

I would have done the same!

With best wishes,

Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back