• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question re: Moore NR (1 Viewer)

Gandalf_22h

I put a spell on you! ----
Tried putting my question in the other Moore NR thread but it is too old to accept replies.

Can anyone tell me if the tracks and trails etc are accessible via a small portable mobility scooter as I am a disabled photographer. Also is there a designated car-park?

I should like to visit in the next week or so.
Thanks in advance for any replies. :t:

Hi Gandalf,

Here is a link to the website - http://www.wrg.co.uk/page.php?article=755&name=Moore+About+Us, which has maps of the reserve, how to get there and a sightings page. Some of the reserve has very good footpaths and there are other areas which can be viewed from the car. Several parts of the reserve have uneven surfaces tho. On the website they have contact details for the site owners, who should be able to give you more specific advice.

CB

Hi Gandalf,

Here is a link to the website - http://www.wrg.co.uk/page.php?article=755&name=Moore+About+Us, which has maps of the reserve, how to get there and a sightings page. Some of the reserve has very good footpaths and there are other areas which can be viewed from the car. Several parts of the reserve have uneven surfaces tho. On the website they have contact details for the site owners, who should be able to give you more specific advice.

CB

Thank you for your reply CB. I have already downloaded the maps. Was really hoping if someone who visits there could say whether they had seen any people using mobility scooters on the reserve, proof of the pudding so to speak.

There is a new car park there it's situated on the corner of the Moore lane Birchwood Lane junction. I think you might have a problem using some of the woodland paths though a lot of the woods can be seen off Lapwing lane and some of the pools can be seen off Birchwood Lane.

Last edited:
The new car park is flat and (if that is full) adjacent to this it a road with parking.
From there you can turn right and gain access to the 1st viewing hide which overlooks the lake.
I would say that the main feeding station is inaccessible for mobility (certainly for wheel chairs) which amazes me.
The lane around the periphery is probably accessible but I dont think gives access to any of the viewing areas.
I have weighed this up for my wheelchair/mobility scooter bound Bro-in-law and decided it wasn't possible but some scooters are much more stable that others.

I may be wrong but I think the path from the new car park is gravel. It is certainly on a slope so I would park on the road along the side of the factory/ lorry park.
Lapwing lane is tarmacked but quite full of potholes and most of the hides are off the road via muddy tracks.
However, it you go towards the fiddler ferry viewing area the road is much better though since we walked to it over the grassy tracks not quite sure how to drive on to this road.

Thank you all for the numerous replies. I have just been there today for a reccie. I should be able to visit at least Lapwing Lane Hide, Canal Bed Hide, Feeding Station Hide and poss Raptor Watch Platform. I intend to visit this Wednesday and will concentrate on those locations for the present. When I become more familiar with the layout I shall investigate the remaining East sections.:t:

Thank you one and all. If any of you see a guy on a mobility scooter wearing a Nikonians baseball cap - say Hi won't you. :t::t:

Thank you all for the numerous replies. I have just been there today for a reccie. I should be able to visit at least Lapwing Lane Hide, Canal Bed Hide, Feeding Station Hide and poss Raptor Watch Platform. I intend to visit this Wednesday and will concentrate on those locations for the present. When I become more familiar with the layout I shall investigate the remaining East sections.:t:

Thank you one and all. If any of you see a guy on a mobility scooter wearing a Nikonians baseball cap - say Hi won't you. :t::t:

Would you be kind enough to give a feed back on your visit as I would like to take my B-I-L
Thanks

Would you be kind enough to give a feed back on your visit as I would like to take my B-I-L
Thanks

Certainly David. Should I provide it here in this thread or would you prefer a PM?

Hal :t::t:

here in this thread is best other people in the same situation will also be able to use the info too then

As promised: I provide feedback as to how my visit to Moore NR as a photographer who uses a mobility scooter to access reserves etc.

There were both pros and cons to my visit.

Let me say what a brilliant site it is - well worth a visit. It is not possible to access the whole site via a mob. scooter but most of the West area was covered by me.

Upon arrival we off-loaded my scooter before driving in to the car park - very large uneven stones make it very awkward.
Turning right out of the car park allowed me to access (from reserve map) Lapwing Lane Hide - no probs at all.
Continuing up Lapwing Lane to first intersection there is a large metal gate and wooden style-type gate to manoeuvre through. I found this to be no barrier at all - recommend reversing in for ease of movement out. This then allowed me access to Canal Bed Hide.

Unable to access Sedge Hide and Raptor Watch Platform restricted because of steep inclines and steps up and down but managed the track and trails all the way round as far as the Raptor Watch Platform - good height and views - lots of birds.

Reversed back along trails past Canal Bed Hide, through style-type gate, crossed Lapwing Lane through another style-type gate and proceeded along trails through Middle Moss Wood (captured red-fox sunbathing in meadow - see Gallery image at website:)
http://www.wrg.co.uk/moore_gallery.php
to Birch Strip Hide - no probs.

This is as far as I got in this visit. I can see restrictions to accessing the remainder of the site because looking through bins can see steep inclines, steps and what may be smaller wooden style-type gates further on towards Birchwood Pool East Hide, Pump House Hide, Colin’s Hide and Phoenix Hide.

Let me stress it may not be suitable for all mobility scooters - especially the larger road style scooters but should be fine for the smaller, portable scooters which can be taken apart and put in the boot of a car - as is mine.

Dimension guide for getting through style-type gates at Moore.
Overall Length of scooter: 40.5” / 103 cm
Overall Width of scooter: 22” / 56 cm.

NB: Feeding Station Hide - unable to access, chain on gate. Track very loose and muddy, not recommended. Pity.

I had a very enjoyable day, meeting felllow Photographers and Birders who were more than happy to share their views, experiences and local knowledge. I hope this will be of use to others in the same situation as myself.

Last edited:
update

On my list of 'regular' sites.

Cheers.

Quick update to my feedback on mobility scooter access to various sections of the reserve.
Went for my third visit on 1 July and found that I could get to Birchwood Pool East and Pump House Hides now as well.

Further investigation also allowed me to get to Colin's Hide by driving along the outside track/road towards Warrington.

I only need to see if I can find a way of getting to Phoenix Hide now. :t::t::t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back