• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors, Tsavo West NP, Kenya (1 Viewer)

Thibaud

Hi all,

After seeing a number of posts with birds from Tsavo West on this forum over the years, it's now my turn! All of these were seen two weeks ago, in the northern part of the park, around Kilaguni Lodge.
I'm uploading them all to inaturalist, but I figured I'd get confirmation from the resident experts here.

1 - Gape line extends to the middle of the eye - Tawny Eagle?
2 - I had put this down as Gabar Goshawk, but someone IDed it as Ovambo Sparrowhawk on inat, a significantly rarer bird in that part of Kenya (gets flagged on ebird). I'm not familiar with either species, so would love some pointers
3 - Weak bill, faint crest - Wahlberg's Eagle?
4 - Was IDed as African hawk-eagle on inat. Looking at photos, looks like a good match, but since this was my first time seeing an immature, I figured I'd ask for confirmation

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• tawny 1.jpg
    tawny 1.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 42
  • tawny 2.jpg
    tawny 2.jpg
    676.8 KB · Views: 48
  • hawk 1.jpg
    hawk 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • hawk 2.jpg
    hawk 2.jpg
    999.6 KB · Views: 46
  • wahlberg 1.jpg
    wahlberg 1.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 42
  • wahlberg 2.jpg
    wahlberg 2.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 36
  • eagle 1.jpg
    eagle 1.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 36
  • eagle 2.jpg
    eagle 2.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 41
I think it's gabar goshawk not Ovambo. The head isn't obviously small, the central feather shaft are "central feather shaft colour" rather than white, and it seems to have a white rump.

Think the others are ok: hawk-eagle with beige wing / underparts.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back