• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red grouse near Buxton and anything else . Advise please (1 Viewer)

Rene1958

I have not been to Derbyshire for at least 10 years but this Easter we will be staying for a week with family in a house not far from Buxton. I saw that most info about the above on this forum is a bit dated so I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers as where to go in the area for Red grouse and other birds . I’m not a birdwatcher but nature photographer so would likely use the car as my mobile hide. Many thanks for any info
Rene de Heer
www.naturepics.co.uk

Last edited:
I have not been to Derbyshire for at least 10 years but this Easter we will be staying for a week with family in a house not far from Buxton. I saw that most info about the above on this forum is a bit dated so I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers as where to go in the area for Red grouse and other birds . I’m not a birdwatcher but nature photographer so would likely use the car as my mobile hide. Many thanks for any info
Rene de Heer
www.naturepics.co.uk
Hi Rene, Red Grouse is pretty common in moorland areas. Goyt Valley, Swallow Moss, Kinder and Beeley Moor as good as any. Dipper on the rivers such as in Chee Dale.

Otherwise it is a pretty quiet time of year. Wheatear may have arrived as may Ring Ouzel but Pied Flycatcher and Redstart will be another few weeks. Anything particularly you are after?

Hi Rene, Red Grouse is pretty common in moorland areas. Goyt Valley, Swallow Moss, Kinder and Beeley Moor as good as any. Dipper on the rivers such as in Chee Dale.

Otherwise it is a pretty quiet time of year. Wheatear may have arrived as may Ring Ouzel but Pied Flycatcher and Redstart will be another few weeks. Anything particularly you are after?
Thanks very much. No nothing in particular. It’s a family holiday but I might just get out early morning for a few hours and perhaps later in the day. Are short eared owls possible at all? We are staying near a village called Quarnford/Buxton

Thanks very much. No nothing in particular. It’s a family holiday but I might just get out early morning for a few hours and perhaps later in the day. Are short eared owls possible at all? We are staying near a village called Quarnford/Buxton
Short-eared Owl is possible but not likely. I have not been in the area this year so don't know if any around but Goyt Valley or Swallow Moss usual sites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back