• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reed warbler? Hat Yai, S Thailand, May 2, 2023 (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, I took these photos today of a bird in the large field behind my house in South-eastern Thailand on May2, 2023. It seems to me to look like an Oriental Reed Warbler but there are no reeds or any type of wetland in the vicinity. The area is developed and undeveloped (fields) land near the airport. Of course, it could be just passing through.
The bi-coloured, convex bill seems to suggest reed warbler, but the supercilium is pretty weak behind the eye and the eye-stripe is as well. The tail is rather short, and the primaries look long. But it does not seem to have any buff wash anywhere, just a very white underside (washed out by the light perhaps?).

Help on identification much appreciated, as are any comments or suggestions.

Thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_18ce.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_18ce.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 24
  • fullsizeoutput_18cf.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_18cf.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
  • fullsizeoutput_18d0.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_18d0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • fullsizeoutput_18d1.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_18d1.jpeg
    975.4 KB · Views: 29
  • fullsizeoutput_18d2.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_18d2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • fullsizeoutput_18d3.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_18d3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • fullsizeoutput_18d4.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_18d4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
Thanks Ken, it does look quite like that doesn't it. It would have to be an escapee though as I believd they have so far been unknown to fly to Thailand:)
thanks again
steve

Thanks Ken, it does look quite like that doesn't it. It would have to be an escapee though as I believd they have so far been unknown to fly to Thailand:)
thanks again
steve
FWIW Steve , I’ve found more Acros and other warbler species on passage in totally “dry environments” ie centre of London in churchyards, gardens parks etc. than elsewhere, it might be worth adding that I don’t generally visit reed beds etc.
Regarding “an escapee” surely not the sort of bird that would be kept in captivity….might be a 1st?
After all, we (UK), have had a number of Far Eastern species, some just a few years ago would have been deemed impossible…so best of luck with that, of course always assuming that the ID is correct. 👍

Thanks Ken, I believe that oriental was once a sub-species of great reed warbler so that the photo looks like the latter to you likely means then it is the former:)
thanks again. I always find your comments informative.
steve

Thanks Ken, I believe that oriental was once a sub-species of great reed warbler so that the photo looks like the latter to you likely means then it is the former:)
steve
Was about to comment it’s probably the oriental Reed warbler.

steve
Steve, I was blissfully unaware of the relationship between ORW and GRW or indeed of their respective ranges in the far East, I was really commenting on the images provided, they do seem quite similar, which might explain the similarities.
Perhaps someone with greater experience might be able to clarify further?

Cheers

Thanks Bewick. By appearance I am unable to match the photos to any other species, though always hoping for that rarity:). The habit it was in seems quite unusual to me, but perhaps as Ken mentioned, on passage who knows what turns up where.
You are likely correct:) Thanks for taking the time to comment.
steve

Oriental RW often turn up in drier habitats during migration (at least, they do here in Hong Kong). I think your bird looks fine for Oriental RW.

Great RW is a feasible vagrant to Thailand. But given the extreme similarity between GRW and ORW, I think you'd need very good evidence to claim GRW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back