• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

request for advice re: monopod (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Hello. Please may I ask a question. I have a manfrotto monopod which I havent really used yet. I bought it to mount the Nikon D7100 camera and 600mm long lens (Sigma C). I don't know much about monopods but I don't think it is a highly expensive one.
I tried it out with a small spotting scope recently. I found a problem. : When I extend it (it being "telescopic" in design) I extend each of the 3 parts, and lock them into place. However the bottom section "slips" without a great deal of pressure being applied. I think I can just about get away with this in regard to using it with a small spotting scope. However the real reason I got it was for the camera set up. The camera set up as you will agree, is fairly heavy. For that reason I would be reluctant to use it with the monoscope. This is sad because it was for this purpose I bought it in the first place.
Please does anyone have experience of the same issue. Do you have any idea if the defect is repairable. Or is there any workaround that anyone knows about to make it stiff and safe in position.
Any advice would be really appreciated please.

Hello. Please may I ask a question. I have a manfrotto monopod which I havent really used yet. I bought it to mount the Nikon D7100 camera and 600mm long lens (Sigma C). I don't know much about monopods but I don't think it is a highly expensive one.
I tried it out with a small spotting scope recently. I found a problem. : When I extend it (it being "telescopic" in design) I extend each of the 3 parts, and lock them into place. However the bottom section "slips" without a great deal of pressure being applied. I think I can just about get away with this in regard to using it with a small spotting scope. However the real reason I got it was for the camera set up. The camera set up as you will agree, is fairly heavy. For that reason I would be reluctant to use it with the monoscope. This is sad because it was for this purpose I bought it in the first place.
Please does anyone have experience of the same issue. Do you have any idea if the defect is repairable. Or is there any workaround that anyone knows about to make it stiff and safe in position.
Any advice would be really appreciated please.
Which one do you have? If it is a model with flip-locks, you may have to tighten the hex screw that is part of the lock so that the pinch collar is pre-tightened a bit more than the current setting.

--AP

Which one do you have? If it is a model with flip-locks, you may have to tighten the hex screw that is part of the lock so that the pinch collar is pre-tightened a bit more than the current setting.

--AP
It is the 079B - thank you. I think I see the screw you refer too. I will have a go. LOL thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back