• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Request id assistance Little Egret or Western Reef Heron (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Please may enquire once more: The WRH would be a lifer. I have checked the field guide and it seems good for that species with a modicum of yellow on the bill (unlike Little Egret). However I am confused by the black legs and yellow feet (which I had thought to be peculiar to Little Egret). Any assistance would be appreciated.
The date is 13th December 2023 at a place called Nabq Protected Area, Sharm, Egypt.
28.098924, 34.435039
Many thanks.

Attachments

• D2-0329.jpg
    D2-0329.jpg
    725.3 KB · Views: 52
  • D2-0334.jpg
    D2-0334.jpg
    837.7 KB · Views: 53
  • D2-0339.jpg
    D2-0339.jpg
    703.6 KB · Views: 45
  • D2-0345.jpg
    D2-0345.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I'd guess it's a reef heron - if it's in marine waters or adjacent to them? - they're rarely anywhere else. Bill doesn't look stilletoish enough for little egret. I don't think foot colour is a problem.

I'd guess it's a reef heron - if it's in marine waters or adjacent to them? - they're rarely anywhere else. Bill doesn't look stilletoish enough for little egret. I don't think foot colour is a problem.
Thank you. It was indeed in marine waters. Thank you for the pointer about the non-stilletoish bill. I see your kind answer is slightly tenatative (no offence) so look forward to additional comments if possible from others to hopefully strengthen the case LOL

Please may enquire once more: The WRH would be a lifer. I have checked the field guide and it seems good for that species with a modicum of yellow on the bill (unlike Little Egret). However I am confused by the black legs and yellow feet (which I had thought to be peculiar to Little Egret). Any assistance would be appreciated.
The date is 13th December 2023 at a place called Nabq Protected Area, Sharm, Egypt.
28.098924, 34.435039
Many thanks.
re: feet, from Wikipedia:

"The white morph is similar in general appearance to the little egret, but has a larger yellower bill, extended yellow on thicker legs"

That article discusses whether or not this/ese form/s should be better treated as (a) subspecies of little egret. Based on what they say, the jury's probably out. Certainly an area where more research would help.

re: feet, from Wikipedia:

"The white morph is similar in general appearance to the little egret, but has a larger yellower bill, extended yellow on thicker legs"

That article discusses whether or not this/ese form/s should be better treated as (a) subspecies of little egret. Based on what they say, the jury's probably out. Certainly an area where more research would help.
Thank you so much. I must scrutinize the bird carefully and compare with online images. I get the sense the legs are thickset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back