• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rev Charles Swainson, MA: any news? (1 Viewer)

Sorry for this late reply, re. the very start of this thread (my blue bolds)
I've been trying to find out more about the life of Rev Charles Swainson MA, rector of Old Charlton and author of The Provincial Names and Folk-lore of British Birds (1886) but have hit a bit of a wall. I know he was born in 1841 and passed away in 1913 but have no picture of him, or of his rectory near Charlton House ...

Maybe you should by yourself a Postcard, or maybe even two ... ?

St. Paul's Church & Rectory, Old Charlton.jpg

St. Paul's Curch & Rectoey, Old-Charlton.jpg

From here and/or here.

If still relevant, hopefully of some use/help.

Either way; enjoy!

Björn

PS. Clearly it's Old Charlton, not the ditto 'Charleston',
(... as Paul wrote it in post #9) 🙄

Sorry for this late reply, re. the very start of this thread (my blue bolds)

Maybe you should by yourself a Postcard, or maybe even two ... ?

View attachment 1380087

View attachment 1380088

From here and/or here.

If still relevant, hopefully of some use/help.

Either way; enjoy!

Björn

PS. Clearly it's Old Charlton, not the ditto 'Charleston',
(... as Paul wrote it in post #9) 🙄
Many thanks Bjorn!!
I did find these and you're right I am going to buy loads of them as they're relevant and atmospheric. However St Paul's (pictured here) ws the first church to be destroyed in the London blitz in WW2 (a direct hit) and the photo of the old man with the white beard I mentioned to you was, I think, not Swainson, but his neighbour at this parish (he was pictured outside this rectory, and was a much older man). Swainson himself was attached to St Luke's down the road, which I have pictures of now, but still no image of Swainson!! I think I may have found a picture of his son (only a possible) who was in the newspapers for hiding an old parish register in a churchyard to avoid any German invasion but I haven't definitely confirmed it's him. He was also Rev Charles Swainson. I will have to continue my project in the summer holidays as I'm back to school tomorrow!!

'Paranoid ... ', I don't know if this topic/case is still "on", but I will post it anyway (simply as I happened to find some possibly additional pieces, while following the describers of some other "English" birds ...

🧩

Though nothing sensational, see the attatched JPG where you find your guy ; "Rev. C. Swainson M.A. rector ...", mentioned, at work, in 'Worship', in/at (the close-by) St. Luke's Church (in line with your latest reply)

Also, in the London Standard, of 24th of March 1914, you'll find the following phrase (here, on p.6): "Charles Swainson, M.A., of 9, Shooter's Hill-road, S.E., formerly rector of Old Charlton, who died on December [i.e. of 1913] ... aged 73, left estate of the gross value of ...". Looks like a match to Paul's post #9. Maybe worth checking? If so, wouldn't that be "Shooter's Hill-road", in Blackheath, S.E (South East) London?

Also compare 'his' signature (in the 1911 census, in Paul's post #12), with the ditto in the attached letter, from 1884 (one out of two, where he's mentioned, found here, down the page). To me it/they look similar/the same.

Hopefully of some use/help?

Either way, I'll keep an eye open for Reverend Charles Swainson (Sr.), and I'll let you know if I should find a Photo of him (but don't get your hopes up). ;)

Good luck with your Project, enjoy your studies, and keep us updated on any progress!

Cheers

Björn

Attachments

• 5th of May, 1884.jpg
    5th of May, 1884.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • p.114.jpg
    p.114.jpg
    585.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
'Paranoid ... ', I don't know if this topic/case is still "on", but I will post it anyway (simply as I happened to find some possibly additional pieces, while following the describers of some other "English" birds ...

🧩

Though nothing sensational, see the attatched JPG where you find your guy ; "Rev. C. Swainson M.A. rector ...", mentioned, at work, in 'Worship', in/at (the close-by) St. Luke's Church (in line with your latest reply)

Also, in the London Standard, of 24th of March 1914, you'll find the following phrase (here, on p.6): "Charles Swainson, M.A., of 9, Shooter's Hill-road, S.E., formerly rector of Old Charlton, who died on December [i.e. of 1913] ... aged 73, left estate of the gross value of ...". Looks like a match to Paul's post #9. Maybe worth checking? If so, wouldn't that be "Shooter's Hill-road", in Blackheath, S.E (South East) London?

Also compare 'his' signature (in the 1911 census, in Paul's post #12), with the ditto in the attached letter, from 1884 (one out of two, where he's mentioned, found here, down the page). To me it/they look similar/the same.

Hopefully of some use/help?

Either way, I'll keep an eye open for Reverend Charles Swainson (Sr.), and I'll let you know if I should find a Photo of him (but don't get your hopes up). ;)

Good luck with your Project, enjoy your studies, and keep us updated on any progress!

Cheers

Björn
Thank you so much BB!
Yes, I am still researching and writing notes about this man, his life and work, and the project is going in two directions:

1 A historical novel based around his life and work (still don't have a definite photo of the man, and still don't have evidence of his burial place!)

2 Further research into provincial and historical birds' names in the British Isles (as you know these have been influenced by Scandinavian languages, Celtic languages as well as continental European languages and classical Greek & Latin). I'm tracing a timeline of names from Aristotle and Pliny to the present day and the templates alone have already stretched to 400 pages lol!! Without any narrative!

So that's all good fun! Unfortunately I still have to work for my bread so I cannot spend as much time as I would like on it, although this evening I have spent several hours looking through the newspaper archives, inspired by your gift above!

So - the handwritten letter (I found it yesterday, by coincidence), is actually written TO (not FROM) Rev Charles Swainson, and a reply unfortunately was penned on his behalf by his Churchwarden Eleizer L Burnett.

The newspaper article does mention he has died at his last address in Blackheath and gives details of his will but not of his funeral!! Again unfortunately.

There is an interesting story in salthousehistory about one (other) Rev Charles Swainson (who may be his son) who hid Parish registers in a churchyard in 1939 thinking there may be a German invasion of England. The documents were recovered and restored ... I'm in touch with the local historians to find out if this Swainson is related or not.

I will certainly dedicate my historical novel to our friends on this site as you guys were the first to help me and inspire me. There are several incredible aspects to this story which will become clearer as I develop the story. But that's for another day!

Many thanks for your stimulating contributions B!

Michael

Thank you to all of you for your assistance in this quest, I have now traced a photo in a newspaper of Rev. Charles Swainson via Royal Greenwich Heritage Trust, and also they found his resting place with his wife and a relative in Richmond Cemetery (Surrey) - very near to where I used to live! In fact, I remember wandering among these old graves on many occasions when I lived nearby, and I think I followed a green woodpecker near the site of his grave one Sunday morning!
The two daughters, Harriet and Isabel, died a few hours apart because they filled their house with gas and failed to light a gas ring. A relative who found them said this had happened before and they couldn't smell the gas. I wonder if it was a suicide bid, or an accident. Oddly, they had moved to Salisbury. The relative mentioned they had an aversion to glass, and had the windows covered up for many years. Ironically their father, our Charles Swainson, wrote extensively about his stained-glass windows in the church of St Luke's, Charlton, for the Woolwich & District Antiquarian Society.

So that's an end to the quest, I shall busy myself writing that historical novel, Black Heath: White Chapel!!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back