• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Roadrunner question (2 Viewers)

We are on the Arkansas River near Cotopaxi. After 21 years, we have our first Roadrunner hanging around. We've read up on what they eat, thermoregulation, social habits, etc. The bird is getting brave and starting to come closer to us when we are out working. We think it might be a new neighbor and we are good with that. We saw the bird kill a mouse under one of our lawn mowers. The mouse was squeaking in the bird's beak until a lightning-fast flick of the birds head snapped the neck or otherwise somehow killed it instantly. Anyway, we think it's pretty cool.

However, we are wondering if he/she is going to be alright here through the winter? Any thoughts? It can get pretty damn cold here, and some snow can get a couple of feet deep on occasion.

Do you people think the bird showing up has anything to do with climate change? Or is this normal.

We are not what you would call birders. We just like birds.

Think the bird will be just fine, they are tough. However, it is well north of its usual range, so maybe post it at the local Audubon group. I'm sure it is a scarce record for your area.
You've already seen that these birds are pretty omnivorous,so if there is food, they will manage. That said, I've no idea how well they fare in deep snow.

Think the bird will be just fine, they are tough. However, it is well north of its usual range, so maybe post it at the local Audubon group. I'm sure it is a scarce record for your area.
You've already seen that these birds are pretty omnivorous,so if there is food, they will manage. That said, I've no idea how well they fare in deep snow.
Thanks, etudiant. I did as you suggested and contact the Arkansas River Valley group. Haven't heard back, but it was more of an FYI for them. All the best.

Possibly call them back in the morning and ask for a call back so you can actually get a person to talk to and help with your concerns.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back