• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robin-Like Mystery, San Diego, CA, USA (1 Viewer)

gsimonel

United States
I'm from the East Coast, USA. I was visiting my son in San Diego and seeing a lot of birds that I've never seen before, like this one with a pink eye ring. I took the photo on 12/25, in a small park abutting a wild valley with a lot of scrubby trees and dense undergrowth. Can someone ID this for me? Thanks!

Attachments

• Unknown_12-25-23_7938.jpg
    Unknown_12-25-23_7938.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 70
Thank you, Butty. After learning from you that it's a towhee, I was able to find a pretty close match in my Golden Books Guide, the brown towhee. So is the California towhee a local variant of the brown towhee, or a different species that got omitted from the bird book? Anyway, I'm calling it a California towhee for now.

Thank you, Butty. After learning from you that it's a towhee, I was able to find a pretty close match in my Golden Books Guide, the brown towhee. So is the California towhee a local variant of the brown towhee, or a different species that got omitted from the bird book? Anyway, I'm calling it a California towhee for now.
Brown Towhee was split in 1989 into two species, California Towhee and Canyon Towhee.
And this is indeed a California Towhee. I loved my old Golden Guide, many years ago, but you should probably invest in a new field guide. Many bird names have been changed subsequent to the Brown Towhee split, and identification of many species has been improved since then. I like the Sibley Guide to Birds, but the National Geographic Guide is also excellent.

I love my old Golden Guide, too. I'm on my second copy since the first copy fell apart years ago. For a while I had both the National Geographic and the Sibley bird guides, but they just sat on the shelf because I was so much more comfortable with the G.G. So I gave them both away when I moved to Virginia 2 months ago. I'm tempted to get another copy of Silbey after reading your post, rkj, but with the Audubon Society renaming so many birds over the next two years, I wonder if it would make more sense to wait until they've finished and then pick up something with all the new names.

I wonder what they plan to call the Cooper's hawk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back