• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rock doves in the Avon Gorge, Clifton. (1 Viewer)

Allan2700

Netherlands
I was a bit confused by the signs by the Clifton Downs which suggest the Rock doves seen around the Avon Gorge are Rock doves. While on eBird all the sightings in this area are Rock dove (Feral), but in the Collins Bird Guide 'The most complete guide to the birds of Britain and Europe' it does clearly show the Feral and Rock dove are distinct. So are these rock doves in the Avon Gorge area just Feral doves or the distinct Rock dove. (From what I understand the Feral version is just a subspecies of the Rock dove, but the two are distinct)

Thank you.

I was a bit confused by the signs by the Clifton Downs which suggest the Rock doves seen around the Avon Gorge are Rock doves. While on eBird all the sightings in this area are Rock dove (Feral), but in the Collins Bird Guide 'The most complete guide to the birds of Britain and Europe' it does clearly show the Feral and Rock dove are distinct. So are these rock doves in the Avon Gorge area just Feral doves or the distinct Rock dove. (From what I understand the Feral version is just a subspecies of the Rock dove, but the two are distinct)

Thank you.
Feral Pigeon for sure.

(Called Rock Dove (feral) in some listings - but UK birders call them the above).

Think genuine Rock Doves to be found further afield in wilder places such as W Coast of Ireland/Scotland, even then some obvious domesticated birds can be found. Conversely, some Feral Pigeons can closely resemble their wild forebears.

Thank you.
Not a subspecies, but a hybrid descended from much interbreeding with domestic pigeons, the proportions of which depend upon where you encounter them in the wild...
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back