• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rovaniemi, Southern Lapland, Finland Sept 1st - Dec 21st 2012 (1 Viewer)

Xurek

Och aye!
Hello Everyone and Happy New Year.

I have recently returned from a spell of 4 months in Southern Lapland, Finland from the end of August up until just before Christmas 2012. I stayed in the city of Rovaniemi and I found it quite a challenge to find any decent information about the city and surrounding area so I thought I would try and help fill a gap and provide some information. This is not really a trip report as such but more of an information post.

Introduction
As I said information about Rovaniemi was hard to find as it is not regarded as a birding hotspot, especially in the winter months. I am also not an expert birder and this was my first time birding in a different country other than the UK. So I will try my best to provide as much information as I can. I imagine this most might be useful to people who are visiting Northern Finland on a birding trip but are passing through Rovaniemi to locations such as Oulu or Inari and perhaps have a few hours or maybe a day or two to spend there. As I was a student attending two different institutions I was quite busy and the only transport I had available was a push bike so my information is mainly for in the city itself or its outer limits. There were many birds reported a few kilometres outside the city which I couldn't access so if you are visiting with a car there would be much more opportunity for some species.

Resources
A list of resources that helped me before visiting:
Birdforum - some members on here helped me out where they could, special thanks to wolfbirder.

Lapland Ornithological Society website provided some details of sites to visit especially those with hides / towers around the city.

Tiira (Birdlife Finland) - This is the bird recording system for Finland. You can search by area then municipality. You are required to register with this site. Of course the site is in Finnish as is the Lapland Ornithological Society but used in conjunction with Google Chrome and it's automatic translation feature it is easy to use.

I also contacted Birdlife Finland before going over and made a very useful and friendly contact who provided me with useful and current information throughout my stay there.

The book Finnish Lapland by Crossbill Guides - I found it useful for general knowledge of the Lapland environment and bird life but not so much for specific sites when it came to Rovaniemi.

Other websites such as www.rovaniemi.fi were useful to find out about nature trails etc.

Whilst I was over I attended a presentation by the Arctic Centre for the release of "Rovaniemen pesimälinnusto", the Rovaniemi Breeding Bird Atlas. Copies were available afterwards and it really is a beautiful publication with detailed descriptions and breeding maps. When I asked how much they were I was told they were free and I could take one, brilliant. So if anyone requires information for a visit during the breeding season I would be more than happy to help out if I can. Also published along with the Atlas is a new leaflet of Bird Sites in Rovaniemi also available in English and online HERE

Birding Sites
I have produced a rough map that I have attached to this post with locations of the sites I found most productive / interesting.

Jängislahti also referred to as Aronperä is by far the most productive area in the city. It forms part of the Ounasjoki river delta which has numerous other sites worth visiting at the North-Western edge of the city. All areas are only 2-3km from the city centre. The main site itself is a waste ground site used for dumping snow. It is however surrounded by lots of good scrub habitat and broadleaf woodland. Regular ringing activity is undertaken here showing how productive it is. Other areas worth visiting near to here is the Koivuaara island with similar habitat on the other side of the river and also has a nature trail. The Arktikum gardens are nearby and in fact any location along the river bank overlooking the delta can be productive for wildfowl.

Venivaara is a semi-urban area with plenty of forest located on the North-Western Fringe of the city approximately 3km from the centre. It is not too far from Jängislahti.

Ounasvaara Hill - located on the Eastern side of the city. Relatively small hill about 200m elevation that dominates the view from the city. Start of the hill is about 2km from city centre and easily accessed by foot at numerous locations. Covered in coniferous forest, the side nearest the city can be quite busy as it is popular for recreation / winter sports but the further East you go the quieter and better it is for birds. A couple of nature trails and plenty of tracks all over the hill. Best chance for Capercaillie, Hazel Grouse, Siberian Jay etc especially around the area called Isorakka. There is one main road to the top of the hill with a feeding station located near to one of the smaller carparks that is worth a visit especially as winter takes hold. Crested Tit, Willow Tit and Nutcracker all can be seen just a few metres away.

As well as the two main rivers running through the city there are also a few large ponds / small lakes. The largest is Salmijärvi located in the South East corner - regular sightings of White-tailed Eagle here during my stay. Near to the centre is Harjulampi with a bird observation tower and beside it Kirkkolampi which is smaller but also has feeding station beside it good for Nutcracker.

What can be seen / noteworthy species.

September - Plenty of Nutcrackers present in the city from start. They are present all year round as they breed on Ounasvaara hill. Also plenty of Redwing and Fieldfare moving through. Waxwings in forest surrounding the city. Regular reports of Black Grouse and Capercaillie outside of city, a lot of it down to luck, can't provide site info. White-tailed Eagle, Great Grey Owl and Pygmy Owl also reported.

The most productive site was Jängislahti with Red-throated Pipit, Mipit, Yellow Wagtail, Bluethroat. Rustic Bunting, Wheatear, Willow Tit, Garden Warbler, Yellow-browed Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Swallow, House Martin, Spotted Flycatcher, Golden Plover, Hen Harrier, Lapland Bunting, Crane, Whinchat, Rough-legged Buzzard, Great Grey Shrike, Curlew, Skylark, Jack Snipe and Goldcrest were all reported. I myself saw Hen Harrier and up to 11 Bluethroat amongst others.

In the Venivaara area Black Woodpecker and Goshawk reported.

Along the Ounasjokisuisto Whooper Swan, Goldeneye, Tufted Duck, Smew, RB Merganser, Goosander, Pintail, Mallard, Dunlin, Ringed Plover, Rough-legged Buzzard, Wigeon, Shoveler and Scaup reported.

October - during this month a listing competition takes places and there are a lot of reports.

At Jängislahti Lapland Buntings, Redpolls, Snipe, Blackcap, Short-eared Owl, Whoopers, Sparrowhawk. Plenty of of the previous months species too but with lack of the longer distant migratory species.

Plenty of Redpoll, Brambling, Fieldfare and Redwing reported from Arktikum gardens with some thrush groups numbering 1500-2000.

At Ounasvaara -Crested Tit on feeder and throughout. Capercaillie, Black Grouse, Hazel Grouse and Siberian Jay all reported in Isorakka area.

At Venivaara - Hoopoe seen that stayed for a couple of weeks and first groups of Pine Grosbeak. Turtle Dove at a site 3km South of city also hung around for a week or two. Regular sightings of White-tailed Eagle and Golden Eagle along river area through the city and at Salmijärvi.

Approximately 10km South of the city in an area called Tavivaara - Siberian Jay, Grey Headed Woodpecker, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Eurasian Jay and Pine Grosbeak reported regularly and throughout my whole stay. I didn't get the chance to visit the site but I am guessing this was a feeder located near a graveyard which matched information given by wolfbirder from 2008.

November - Number of species obviously dropped by now, although always something of interest to see.

Thousands of Waxwings all over the city now. Pine Grosbeaks right into the city now too, biggest group I saw was 16 and easily seen with a couple metres. Plenty of groups of Redpolls up to 300 strong including the odd Arctic. Still Whoopers about but most of the water bodies starting to freeze over now. White-Tailed and Golden Eagle still being reported. Also several Blackcap reported which I found surprising. The odd Siberian Jay also reported within the city.

A Black-throated Thrush reported on the 6th 10-15km North West of City
Shore Lark reported on the 12th East of the city.

December - Waxwings, Pine Grosbeak and Redpoll still plentiful. Sparrowhawk regularly seen at the Bus Station hunting Waxwings. Small groups of Yellowhammer around the city. Both Eagles still being reported. Most of the freshwater was now completely frozen including large parts of the rivers. Black, Hazel, Willow Grouse + Capercaillie all being reported from fringes of the city including Ounasvaara.

I left on December 21st but there have been a couple interesting records since then.
Three-toed Woodpecker reported inner city on 4th and 7th of January.
Great Grey Shrike also reported on the 4th just South of the city.

Well thank you for reading if you made it this far. I know it's quite a lengthy post but if it helps any one even a small amount it was worth it. Again if anyone needs more details or has questions I will try and help as much as I can. You can have a look at my blog for some more info + pictures if you wish: HERE

Attachments

• ROVANIEMI-SITE-MAP.jpg
    ROVANIEMI-SITE-MAP.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 200
That's a great report, really informative and useful for future visitors such as those taking family for one of the Xmas breaks.

Wish I had known about the Nutcrackers at Ounasvaara Hill. Just how easy were they? It appears you saw ones or two's several times, but are they virtually guaranteed by the feeders there?

Glad you enjoyed your visit and thanks for feeding back.

Thanks wolfbirder.

Yeah I mean from September virtually every time I had to go into the city I saw a Nutcracker, they really were everywhere. And yes especially towards end of October through to when I left Nutcracker pretty much guarenteed at the Ounasvaara Feeder and the Kirkkolampi feeder which is only a few minutes walk from the high street.

Interesting report and quite useful. I visited Rovaniemi in June 2008 and I'm trying to remember where I went birding. I certainly went to Ounasvaara Hill and a few of the bird towers around the Kemi River. I also visited some good sites to the north and around Kemijarvi but was sometimes thwarted by the cool weather that prevailed at the time.

I wonder if it was an irruption year for Nutcrackers? When I went in Dec 08 I saw none at all around town, but maybe I was looking in the wrong places. I walked around Rovaniemi but had no precise knowledge of feeders back then.

Surprised you saw no Crossbills in all that time.

A very interesting overview. Thanks for mentioning the Crossbill Guide - I'm one of the editorial team (although mainly concerned with getting the English into shape rather than content). I'm pleased you found it useful in giving you a general knowledge of the Lapland environment and it's bird life. That's one of the principal aims of the book (and the series overall). It's a pity that sites near Rovaniemi aren't covered, but as I'm sure you appreciate, given the size of the area, priority had to be given to the better sites.

Thank you Andrew and Rich.

@John Oh yes definately not a complaint, the book is very good at what it sets out to do. Thank you for your comment.

@Nick - I did hear groups of Crossbills a few times whilst working in the forest and on walks at Ounasvaara but never managed to get a good look. I am very much a beginner too and wouldn't be capable of ID'ing them from calls. There were a few scattered reports of small numbers in the city but I never had any luck seeing them even though I was always on the look out. Another thing was that on Tiira any Crossbill was reported as just Crossbill when translated to English so it was hard to know if it was Two-barred etc.

With regards to the Nutcrackers I too had the same idea as any information I read before going said that only in some years will a few be seen in the area I was in, so to see so many as soon as September was a surprise to me. But when I asked my contact at Birdlife Finland he said that it was normal to see them like this each year, so I'm not sure. But I did have a lot more time available to see them. In September / October it seemed wherever you found park areas with the ornamental pines there would be Nutcrackers feeding on the cones and after that they became daily visitors to the two feeders I mentioned.

I wonder if it was an irruption year for Nutcrackers? When I went in Dec 08 I saw none at all around town, but maybe I was looking in the wrong places. I walked around Rovaniemi but had no precise knowledge of feeders back then.

In general, in Finland and the Baltics, Nutcrackers are particularly easy to see from late August and even more so into September, but by December are melting back into their elusive usualness. Without a specific feeding site, it does not surprise me to hear you did not see one in December.

Agree with other comments, a nice round out of the potential for this town.

Last edited:
Jos makes a good point as usual. I hadn't noticed before but looking back all my (casual) local Czech records are in Spring or August (when of course family groups are more obvious). Great report Xurek and whilst I'm on here thanks also to Nick for his fantastic North Turkey Tome!

Hi, I’m taking my family to Rovaniemi over Christmas to do the whole Santa thing but hoping to get some birding in when I can. Would you have the co-ordinates of the car parking feeding station at Ounasvaara Hill please? Is this at the Lappi Arena car park? I won’t have much time given the limited daylight hours and Santa activities so I want to maximise my chances by locating any feeding stations before I arrive. Regards, Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back