• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Reserve, Conwy (1 Viewer)

oldgiteggy

A Valley Birder
Just thought I would mention how much we enjoyed a trip to Conwy which included three visits to the RSPB reserve.

It was a bit quiet there, but I imagine the high winds put the birds into shelter!

Visitor centre and coffee shop staff were cheery and very helpful. Volunteers were numerous. Thanks especially to Paul.

Highlights are water rail, sparrowhawk, small flocks of dunlin, teal and shoveler, occasional reed bunting, black tailed godwit and a very close curlew.

Starling numbers were in the hundreds, not thousands. Good evening display though with many fragmented groups heading into the reeds before numbers built up enough to be impressive.

Hi i'm guessing it was Sunday - very windy, and i felt that fewer birds were on display, as you say. Water Rail and Kingfisher showing today - not seen by me!
I've overheard people thanking Paul for showing them birds - people seem to appreciate having someone to discuss ID with (in a hushed voice of course!) ;)

Just thought I would mention how much we enjoyed a trip to Conwy which included three visits to the RSPB reserve.

It was a bit quiet there, but I imagine the high winds put the birds into shelter!

Visitor centre and coffee shop staff were cheery and very helpful. Volunteers were numerous. Thanks especially to Paul.

Highlights are water rail, sparrowhawk, small flocks of dunlin, teal and shoveler, occasional reed bunting, black tailed godwit and a very close curlew.

Starling numbers were in the hundreds, not thousands. Good evening display though with many fragmented groups heading into the reeds before numbers built up enough to be impressive.

Conway Visit

Went to Conway RSPB yesterday. Try to get there each time we visit the in-laws. The weather was bitterly cold and building up to the hail and snowstorm later in the afternoon.

Only went as far as the first two hides as it was very icy and the children were restless. Great views over the lakes and a lot of birds seen mostly hiding from the weather. Saw golden eye, tufted , teal, widgeon, red breasted megansers (7), curlew, dunlin, oyster catchers and lapwing. Lots of herring gulls. Children fascinated by the robins who were playing right by them.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back