• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Samyang lenses? (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

Hello,

Does anybody have any knowledge of Samyang lenses? I have found a 500mm f8.0 on ebay for a stupidly low price (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAMYANG-5...=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item2a049acf5b) and wondered if anybody would have either information on this lens, or could recommend whether this would be a decent cheap lens to use purely for record shots? Im hoping to have an EOS 300d by the end of the week.

Many thanks.

P.S. I should point out that I am an absolute beginner, having only limted experience with dslr's and some digiscoping experience.

Daniel

Its a mirror lens and will be manual focus and may well be very difficult to get good results from. I would advise you against buying it. There is a good chance that you will at least be able to find either a Sigma or a Tamron 70 to 300 zoom lens for around £100, whist they are not really long enough for birding you should at least be able to get some record shots.

I do have a Minolta mirror lens which is af, and it can be hit and miss with this lens.

Last edited:
Totaly agree with the above, I stupidly bought a samyang 800mmf8 when first started it now has a place in the wardrobe where it will remain

Big problem with mirrors are fixed apeture at generally slow speed that makes focusing difficult.Funky dougnut bokeh has to grow on one to appreciate.Nowdays with more sensitive sensors and enhanced live view features that help focusing they can be a very economical remedy should one need a longer focal length to "document" with.Generally small in size and weight,carrys well.Low cost makes attractive in extreme enviroments. Sigma made 500mm F/4, 800mm F/5.6 mirrors,500mm go for $1K or more here in states,never seen the 800mm,exception to the norm.500 is big and heavy.Samyang be in there with everyone else that makes mirrors,have their good qualties and some that arent so desireable.Economics at the forefront of the positive.
Image quality as it relates to documenting rather than an artistic endeavor be more than suitable.
Manual focusing speed might be biggest drawback.Tripod pretty much required.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back