• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sape chairwoman on the death of Peter Ballmann (1 Viewer)

Fred Ruhe

Netherlands
Dear SAPE members,

It is with great sadness that I have to inform you of the passing of the German paleornithologist and geologist Peter Ballmann (*13th June 1941 in Reichenberg, †1st August 2023 Cologne). He was aged 82.

Peter Ballmann grew up in Germany and Columbia. He studied Paleontology/Geology at the Universities of Munich, Berlin, Tübingen (all Germany) and Leiden (The Netherlands). In 1966 he finished his PhD at the University of Munich about the early Miocene bird fauna from the locality Wintershof-West in Bavaria (Southern Germany). Most of his scientific articles dealt with Miocene or Pleistocene bird faunas from several famous European sites (e.g. La Grive (France), Gargano (Italy)) from where he described more than 25 new bird taxa.

Although he started working in the early 1970ies as a prospecting geologist/pedologist for a petroleum company (if I remember that well) he continued publishing on fossil birds throughout the 1970ies until the early 1980ies.

In the frame of his geological job he worked and lived in several countries and regions all over the world: Ivory Coast (1971), Costa Rica (1973-1974), Saudi Arabia (1981–1984) and Eswatini (former Swasiland) (1985). After his retirement, he made a few more publications in the 2000s about Miocene birds from the “Nördlinger Ries” (Germany), in the last of which I had the pleasure to collaborate intensively with him.

During our collaboration, I have experienced that Peter Ballmann was highly educated and spoke a minimum of six languages fluently (among them English, Spanish, Dutch, French, Russian and even Latin); if I remember well he spoke some more languages, but he didn’t consider them to be fluent.

He was a very good anatomist (osteology and myology) and affected through some of his early publications the osteological terminology and standardized measuring of bird bones, that we still all use.

I was informed about Peter Ballmann’s demise through a letter from this family, but which came only with a postal address (no email-address).

In the name of the SAPE I will send our condolences to his family.

Peter Ballmann will be entombed in Cologne the 24th of August.

Kind regards,

Ursula

(SAPE president)

Sad news. But I wonder why this message was not published in the press. I hope there will be an obituary in the next SAPE newsletter.

OBITUARY
(By the president of SAPE from newsletter 37 for 2023)

Peter Ballmann (1941-2023)

The German paleornithologist and geologist Peter Ballmann (*13th of June 1941 in Reichenberg) passed away on 1st of August 2023 in Cologne. He was aged 82.
Peter Ballmann grew up in Germany and Colombia. He studied Paleontology/Geology at the Universities of Munich, Berlin, Tübingen (all Germany) and Leiden (The Netherlands). In 1966 he finished his PhD at the University of Munich about the early Miocene bird fauna from the locality Wintershof-West in Bavaria (Southern Germany). Most of his scientific articles dealt with Miocene or Pleistocene bird faunas from several famous European sites (e.g. La Grive (France), Gargano (Italy)) from where he described more than 25 new bird taxa.
Although he started working in the early 1970ies as a prospecting geologist/pedologist for a petroleum company (if I remember that well), he continued publishing on fossil birds throughout the 1970ies until the early 1980ies.
In the frame of his geological job, he worked and lived in several countries and regions all over the world: Ivory Coast (1971), Costa Rica (1973-1974), Saudi Arabia (1981–1984) and Eswatini (former Swaziland) (1985). After his retirement, he made a few more publications in the 2000s about Miocene birds from the “Nördlinger Ries” (Germany), in the last of which I had the pleasure to collaborate intensively with him.
During our collaboration, I have experienced that Peter Ballmann was highly educated and spoke a minimum of six languages fluently (among them English, Spanish, Dutch, French, Russian and even Latin); if I remember well he spoke some more languages, but he didn’t consider them to be fluent.
He was a very good anatomist (osteology and myology) and influenced through some of his early publications the osteological terminology and standardized measuring of bird bones, that we still all use. Peter Ballmann will be remembered due to his impact in paleornithology

His publications on fossil birds are:

Peter Ballmann, 1966
Die Vögel aus der Altburdigalen Spaltenfüllung von Wintershof (West) bei Eichstät in Bayern
Inaugural Dissertation München

Peter Ballmann, 1969
Les Oiseaux Miocènes de la Grive-Saint-Alban (Isère)
Géobios 2: 157-204

Peter Ballmann, 1969
Die Vögel aus der Altburdigalen Spaltenfüllung von Wintershof (West) bei Eichstätt in Bayern
Zitteliana 1: 5-60

Peter Ballmann, 1970
Ein Neuer Vertreter der Musophagidae (Aves) aus dem Chattium von Gaimersheim bei Inglostadt (Bayern)
Mitteilungen Bayerischen Staatssammlung für Paläontologie und Historische Geologie 10: 271-276

Peter Ballmann, 1972
Les Oiseaux Miocènes de Vieux-Collonges
Documents des Laboratoires de Géologie de la Faculté des Sciences de Lyon № 50: 93-101

Peter Ballmann, 1973
Fossile Vögel aus dem Neogen der Halbinsel Gargano (Italien)
Scripta Geologica 17: 1-75

Peter Ballmann, 1976
The Contribution of Fossil Birds to Avian Classification
Proceedings.International Ornithologists Congress 16: 196-200 pdf

Peter Ballmann, 1976
Fossile Vögel aus dem Neogen der Halbinsel Gargano (Italien) Zweiter Teil
Scripta Geologica 38: 1-59

Peter Ballmann, 1979
Fossile Glareolidae aus dem Miozän des Nördlinger Ries (Southern Germany) (Aves: Charadriifores)
Bonner Zoologische Beiträge 30: 52-101

Peter Ballmann, 1983
A New Species of Fossil Barbet (Aves: Piciformes) from the Late Miocene of the Nördlinger Ries (Southern Germany)
Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology. 3: 43-48 pdf

Peter Ballmann, 1987
A Fossil Bird Fauna from the Pliocene Sahabi Formation of Libya
Neogene paleontology and geology of Sahabi 1: 113-117 in Noel T. Boaz, et al. (eds.), Alan R. Liss, Inc, New York

Peter Ballmann, 2004
Fossil Calidrinae (Aves: Charadriiformes) from the Middle Miocene of the Nördlinger Ries
Bonner Zoologische Beiträge 52: 101-114 pdf

Peter Ballmann & Hno. Rafael Androver, 1970
Yacimiento Paleontológica de la Cueva de Son Bauzà (Mallorca)
Acta Geològica Hispànica 5: 58-62 pdf

Ursula B. Göhlich & Peter Ballmann, 2013
A New Barn Owl (Aves: Strigiformes: Tytonidae) from the Middle Miocene of the Nördlinger Ries (Germany) with Remarks on the History of the Owls
Paleornithological Research 2013: 103-122

Taxa described by Peter Ballmann:

Taoperdix miocaena Ballmann, 1969.
Alectoris bavarica Ballmann, 1969.
Buteo pusillus Ballmann, 1969.
Intulula brevis (Ballmann, 1969).
Strix wintershofensis (Ballmann, 1969).
Veflintornis meini (Ballmann, 1969).
Capitonides Ballmann, 1969.
Capitonides europeus Ballmann, 1969.
Zygodactylus Ballmann 1969.
Zygodactylus ignotus Ballmann, 1969.
Zygodactylus grivensis Ballmann, 1969.

Alasio collongensis (Ballman, 1972).

Garganoaetus Ballmann, 1973.
Garganoaetus freudenthali Ballmann, 1973.
Garganoaetus murivorus Ballmann, 1973.
Tyto robusta Ballmann, 1973.
Tyto gigantea Ballmann, 1973.

Bubo perpastus (Ballmann, 1976).
Columba omnisanctorum Ballmann, 1976.
Apus wetmorei Ballmann, 1976.

Mioglareola Ballmann, 1979.
Mioglareola gregaria Ballmann, 1979.
Glareola neogena Ballmann, 1979.

Capitonides protractus Ballmann, 1983.

Mirolia Ballmann, 2004.
Mirolia brevirostrata Ballmann, 2004.
Mirolia dubia Ballmann, 2004.
Mirolia parvula Ballmann, 2004.
Mirolia? mascalidris Ballmann, 2004.

Miotyto Göhlich et Ballmann, 2013.
Miotyto montispetrosi Göhlich et Ballmann, 2013.

Fred

Users who are viewing this thread

Back