• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Satellite tagged/ringed Black Kite. (1 Viewer)

Devonian Birder

Photographs taken of the adult Black Kite in Cornwall yesterday show a transmitter and what appear to be rings on both legs.
Does anyone have any information about the possible provenance of this bird and thus any ringing schemes it might be part of ? I am aware of migration monitoring schemes in both Italy and Spain, would this bird be part of such a scheme ?
It’s a bit late for Black Kite in the UK but not unusual. Any information would be most welcome.

I just checked on Animal Tracker where I found details of nine Italian Black Kites, but none of them are logged in the UK currently.

I just checked on Animal Tracker where I found details of nine Italian Black Kites, but none of them are logged in the UK currently.
Thanks for checking Richard. The Black Kite has now been confirmed as an escape from Wild Zoological Park near Dudley in the West Midlands. He answers to the name of "Geb" or at least he did until August 1st when he went missing !!!

Thanks for checking Richard. The Black Kite has now been confirmed as an escape from Wild Zoological Park near Dudley in the West Midlands. He answers to the name of "Geb" or at least he did until August 1st when he went missing !!!
They should get down there and play the old Beatles classic “Geb back” at full volume ( it might work….) ;)

There's been a Black Kite in Jersey for the last few days, with jesses and a blue transmitter on it's back - the same bird?

The escaped Black Kite seen in Cornwall during October did indeed have a blue transmitter and anklets/rings on both legs. A bit too much of a coincidence me thinks.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back