• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Savannah Sparrow Colonel Samuel Smith Park Toronto Ontario Oct 4 (1 Viewer)

49bentley

Canada
Can someone please confirm this to be a Savannah Sparrow? Taken in Colonel Samuel Smith Park Toronto Ontario Oct
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• CAT05845-D.jpg
    CAT05845-D.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 36
  • CAT05851-D.jpg
    CAT05851-D.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 35
  • CAT05852-D.jpg
    CAT05852-D.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 36
  • CAT05886-D.jpg
    CAT05886-D.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 34
Looks like a juvenile Song Sparrow
Agreed, I see why OP confused it for a savannah sparrow, it appears to have a yellowish tinge to its face- though this is pretty ordinary for a juvenile song sparrow. As mentioned longer tail and heavier bill also points to song sparrow primaries and greater coverts also appear to have the reddish-brownish of a song sparrow instead of the paler brown to straw coloured greater coverts and primaries of the Savannah sparrow.

I can't see what else it might be, but October would be late for a Song Sparrow still to be in juvenile plumage. Was this early or late in the month?

This is a good reminder of the importance of shape - the bigger bill and longer tail very quickly rule Savannah out. I will also point out that there appear to be 3 different individual Song Sparrows involved: pic 1 = adult in moult, no tail, missing the central flight feathers of wing (consistent with early stage of moult); pic 2-3 young bird (very pointed tail feathers); pic 4 = young bird still apparently in largely juvenile plumage still (very loose textured body feathers, less distinct face patterning) presumably from a late brood

Users who are viewing this thread

Back