• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saxicola species from Andamans, India (1 Viewer)

Dhyey13

India
Got this  Saxicola sp. at South Andaman, India. The default species here would be Amur ( stejnegeri). I'm still learning how to differentiate the taxa of this genus. Would love to hear opinions on this bird!

All pics of the same bird which was roaming around. Found on 1st Jan 2023.

Thanks!
Dhyey

Attachments

• DSC_1167.jpg
    DSC_1167.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_1151.jpg
    DSC_1151.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_1169.jpg
    DSC_1169.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_1174.jpg
    DSC_1174.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0573.jpg
    DSC_0573.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 20
Revisited the area and got 2 better shots.
Hope they help!

Dhyey

Attachments

• DSC_1205.jpg
    DSC_1205.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC_1185.jpg
    DSC_1185.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 7
Hi. Separating Stejneger's and Siberian Stonechat is one of the challenges in modern birding, oddly especially adult males. The features by which you might be able to do it are not especially well shown on your images.

Notably, I would go for the size of the white rump patch, which is limited in Stejneger's and more extensive on Siberian, on which it often extends up to the base of the tertials and can sometimes be visible above them. The extension of black onto the lower back on Stejneger's makes the rump/uppertail covs look like a down pointing pale triangle as opposed to a 'lozenge' on Siberian; the black feathers of the lower back in turn creates (to my eyes) an area of black sometimes visible arcing round the rear flanks - as can be seen on the annotated image here:

Screenshot 2023-01-01 at 11.46.43.png

The wear/loss of upper tail coverts makes it hard to evaluate (I am probably imagining a black shaft streak in one of the later images).

Anyway, a tough one and I wait to be proven wrong, which would not be the first time.

Brian

Hi. Separating Stejneger's and Siberian Stonechat is one of the challenges in modern birding, oddly especially adult males. The features by which you might be able to do it are not especially well shown on your images.

Notably, I would go for the size of the white rump patch, which is limited in Stejneger's and more extensive on Siberian, on which it often extends up to the base of the tertials and can sometimes be visible above them. The extension of black onto the lower back on Stejneger's makes the rump/uppertail covs look like a down pointing pale triangle as opposed to a 'lozenge' on Siberian; the black feathers of the lower back in turn creates (to my eyes) an area of black sometimes visible arcing round the rear flanks - as can be seen on the annotated image here:

View attachment 1486603

The wear/loss of upper tail coverts makes it hard to evaluate (I am probably imagining a black shaft streak in one of the later images).

Anyway, a tough one and I wait to be proven wrong, which would not be the first time.

Brian
Thanks for the input, Mr. Small!
Any specific angles which can make the evaluation easier? I can try searching for them within the loads of images.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back