• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scarlet Tanager winter male? - Fernandina Beach / Amelia Island, Florida; 10/10/22 (1 Viewer)

KathyJB

I saw this bird in our fountain this afternoon. This time of year I have my painted buntings; the females and immature males are green, while the males have a bright red chest. For a moment I thought I had a molting male. But then I realized this wasn't a bunting at all, as their wings aren't black, and the red wasn't quite where it should be. I think I've identified it, but please, tell me what you think. I believe it's an immature winter male scarlet tanager, in the process of changing colors. I've never had one before.

Thanks!
KathyJB

Attachments

• IMG_3268.jpg
    IMG_3268.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3256.jpg
    IMG_3256.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3248.jpg
    IMG_3248.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 11
Hoorah! It's the way to True Enlightenment ;) (y) (Better still, give Mr Peterson's book away and buy Mr Sibley's.)
I've had my Peterson guide for a while I guess (copyright 2002), but I must have gotten it to supplement my Audubon Society field guide published in 1987! The Peterson was much easier to use for a quick look-up. I guess it's time to refresh my library. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back