• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scaup (1 Viewer)

Atomsplitter

Would like some help with these scaup. Ignoring the Ring-necked duck and the American wigeon in the pictures. Is the female scaup a Greater scaup? Pictures taken today in Indiana.

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_0972.JPG
    DSC_0972.JPG
    330 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0963.JPG
    DSC_0963.JPG
    512.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0970.JPG
    DSC_0970.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_0973.JPG
    DSC_0973.JPG
    465.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_0974.JPG
    DSC_0974.JPG
    545.5 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_0975.JPG
    DSC_0975.JPG
    700.1 KB · Views: 73
I would lean toward Greater, but it's tough with these photos.

Why?
1) bill appears larger than those of the lesser & has a larger black nail, and a significant amount of white at the base
2) head shape looks ok for greater*

*I'm not saying it's outside the variation/postures of lesser, just that it's within that of greater imo.

Thanks for the replies and for the question Butty.

Head appears rounded and not domed/peaked like the male Lesser Scaups in the pictures. Also the bill appears larger than the nearby lesser. Might be a perspective thing though. I tried to get different angles of the head. Resolution isnt great in these pictures. I was hoping someone with more experience with this species could decipher the pictures better than me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back