• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Schreiber’s long fingered bat. / common bent ring bat (1 Viewer)

Owene

Wales
Any reason to discount this on an echo acoustics detector in Andalusia. I can’t find a range map and it’s not a species I know.

Also my guide says the default pip here is Kuhls. Is there anything for me to look for in recordings to confirm

Hi, Schreiber's Bent-winged Bat?
If so the echolocation peak power would be much higher than Kuhl's pipistrelle. ~55 as opposed to ~39.
However, that would put it very close to Soprano Pipistrelle, so the echolocation is tricky.
If you saw it, then Bent winged bat has a faster more powerful flight. Often around streetlights

So it’s possible on range but might just be a confusion? I was getting a lot of soprano pip
I'd say it's worth looking into in more detail, yes, and definitely likely. I only have limited experience of bent-winged, so can't really give any pointers I'm afraid.
Plenty of experience with Soprano Pipistrelle, but don't we all!!

Are you using the Echo Meter Touch recorder and basing the ID on the auto-ID feature? If so, then unfortunately I wouldn't pay the auto-ID much attention. In Bulgaria where I am using my Echo Meter Touch Pro for some research I am finding the vast majority of auto-IDs totally wrong when I look at the spectograms and do manual analysis. I have very many recordings showing as "MINSCH", but on careful manual analysis almost none are! The majority have turned out to be "PIPPYG".

Another common error of the auto-ID software is to frequently label noises as European Free-tailed Bats "TADTEN", but the majority of these are incorrect. In fact I am lucky that I really do have European Free-tailed Bats flying around several of my research sites, but these tend to show up very clearly when manually identified.

Another species the auto-ID seems very keen to announce is "NYCLEI" (Leisler's Bat). Again I have quite a few of these where I do research, but again very many auto-IDs of this species are wrong.

Another reason I highly recommend checking spectograms and doing some manual ID is that the software will only ID one species in each recording, but I frequently find there are several species flying together.

I know manual ID can seem quite daunting at first, but the more one checks and attempts, the more one gets the hang of it, and the learning process is surprisingly fast. The main problem is the process itself is very slow and time consuming, but its well worth it! And from time to time one gets some great surprises with species recordings that the manual ID would never have alerted you to!

Plus the auto ID won't take into account the bat's size and behaviour, whether in open or cluttered environment, habitat etc.

The best "compromise" is if the software gives you the values of call duration, inter call distance, max Freq, min Freq and frequency at max energy.
As that takes up the time for me

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back