• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope advice (1 Viewer)

Jermyns

United Kingdom
I have just joined this forum and am hoping your experience can help me with my bird watching please. I have a neck injury which limits my ability to hold optics for any length of time. My ideal way of viewing birds would be from a hide, with some sort of fixed optic that I could look straight forward at, keeping my neck straight. I already have decent binoculars, so am looking for a scope with a hide clamp? something not too heavy to carry but decent enough quality to take photographs with my iPhone if possible. I do have a canon digital camera, but am conscious of weight. I would welcome any advice please.I would be looking to pay no more than £1000 in total if this is do able. Thank you

I have just joined this forum and am hoping your experience can help me with my bird watching please. I have a neck injury which limits my ability to hold optics for any length of time. My ideal way of viewing birds would be from a hide, with some sort of fixed optic that I could look straight forward at, keeping my neck straight. I already have decent binoculars, so am looking for a scope with a hide clamp? something not too heavy to carry but decent enough quality to take photographs with my iPhone if possible. I do have a canon digital camera, but am conscious of weight. I would welcome any advice please.I would be looking to pay no more than £1000 in total if this is do able. Thank you
Your requirements:
  • Price 1,000 GBP or less
  • Not too heavy
  • Decent quality for digiscoping
You are located in the UK….

Look at Opticron's line of scopes. Opticron's MM4 60 GA ED scope may check all of the boxes for you.

Opticron also makes/sells a hide clamp with head.

Last edited:
Although not a perfect solution, I would also consider a superzoom camera. I know that some members here, and at other forums, have made the switch. A superzoom will not have the highest resolution, or pleasing image for hours of observation, but can be very handy to capture images. Image stabilization is another benefit, but the need for batteries and lack of good waterproofing are downsides. Definitely not a solution for everyone.

I have used a superzoom to take photos of wildlife that I don't think I would have been able to with any other system. Quite often, there is no time for me to setup a digiscoping system. The picture quality may not be at the highest level, but I have captured some great memories that I enjoy viewing again.

That stated, I really enjoy the immersive image from my spotting scope. I can spend hours just observing.

Your requirements:
  • Price 1,000 GBP or less
  • Not too heavy
  • Decent quality for digiscoping
You are located in the UK….

Look at Opticron's line of scopes. Opticron's MM4 60 GA ED scope may check all of the boxes for you.

Opticron also makes/sells a hide clamp with head.
Thank you very much. I will certainly look into this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back