• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SDL v3 Eyepiece Now Shipping (1 Viewer)

l
I found the answer if anyone is interested- the v3 eyepiece is 1mm wider than v2 which makes it 1/2mm too wide for the 4114 adaptor. I got myself a generic one from SRB which just fits. Good news is that the zoom is still accessible. On my M43 camera, there is an insane magnification available at the maximum zoom. The picture in the viewfinder looks good and my G80 knows what to do about ISO and shutter speed so, now to test it in the field.
Hi Singlereed,

(about to post my message to you, then it vanished!) Anyway...have an Opticron 77 MM4 scope that I want to attach to a possible Lumix GX8 M43 compact for digiscoping - would a SRB generic adaptor be suitable, or other ideas? I'm also concerned about a Panasonic 20mm 1.7f pancake lens on the GX8 preventing the video AF & maybe also burst mode from working (as someone mentioned this re video AF elsewhere).

There will be a custom made adapter in our range shortly - final samples just received for approval. Will post more info when available.

i use one on the hrr66 ed scope with a adapter but not does work well as when i turn to focus i run out of turning still not focused any ideas

Any updates on this thread?

Comparisons between SDLv3, SDLv2 and HDFT...
  • for sharpness/resolution
  • contrast and colour tones
  • brightness
  • FOV
  • eye relief
  • ease of use with glasses

Got an MM3 ED50 with HDFT zoom. Thinking about an upgrade on the eyepiece?

Nick

• brightness
  • FOV
  • eye relief

Nick
No interest from the brand unfortunately...my ask to provide meaningful/comparable specifications was also ignored. Resistance to put in paper numbers to support statements that promote improvements that are measurable, raise a number of question marks....

Yes I see (after checking previous Opticron data posts), maybe send Pete at Opticron a message and ask for the actual and apparent FoV specs to be added to the webpage. Seems like we’ve derived them, but would be nice not to need to. As only having the sdl3, and being a wide field lover the low power end is a bit constricted, it opens up quite fast and the extreme high power end (at least on my 60mm) seems a little dim (probably due to small exit pupil). I’ve debated getting a fixed wide eyepiece, but then being able to rapidly change the magnification is very useful, it’s only a wider field at the very lower powers that would help finding things sometimes.

Peter

Last edited:
Yes I see (after checking previous Opticron data posts), maybe send Pete at Opticron a message and ask for the actual and apparent FoV specs to be added to the webpage. Seems like we’ve derived them, but would be nice not to need to. As only having the sdl3, and being a wide field lover the low power end is a bit constricted, it opens up quite fast and the extreme high power end (at least on my 60mm) seems a little dim (probably due to small exit pupil). I’ve debated getting a fixed wide eyepiece, but then being able to rapidly change the magnification is very useful, it’s only a wider field at the very lower powers that would help finding things sometimes.

Peter
Opticron checks for forum often and is very responsive to some requests, but the asks for accessible spec details have largely been...not ignored, but only very marginally addressed.
I am in your same situation. Have had an MM3 60 for 7 or 8 years and got an HRGAED80 a few years ago. I use both with my SDLV2 and they perform very very well...I'd love something with a wider FOV also to stop swapping the eyepiece between both scopes but to compare the options available to make an informed purchase decision is a nightmare. My other option is an SDLv3 so I will have zoom in both...but what I am trying to understand is how much wider the fov will be in the HDF40831 vs SDLV3 vs DSDLV2 at equivalent magnifications.

Last edited:
The 40831 is tiny in comparison to the sdl3! The apparent view is wide (though it isn’t quite as wide as the SDL at max zoom, and bright as you’d expect for the lower power, giving nice contrasty views that are pretty much sharp to the edge and virtually colour free (tiny bit of fringing top and bottom extreme edges if pushed).
Switching eyepieces takes a bit longer than for astro ones, lots more screwing in/out Colour balance appears about the same
The apparent field of view seems to match the SDL around 32x(?), though it’s hard to do the head to head comparison. I mostly focus with the coarse knob, but the fine adjust gets the view properly sharp.
The clickup eyecup goes about twice as high on the SDL, I don’t wear glasses and so tend to use the 40831 with two notches (out of three) to eliminate small blackouts if I press my eye right up against it.
The 40831 doesn’t come with a captive rubber cap like the SDL does, the existing bino 31077 Opticron eyecup guard seems to be a tight fit, but works well.

If you like running at max power then get the SDL, if you like a brighter and more contrasty image and don’t like the tunnel view at low power and can live without the highest mag then get the 40831 and save some money and weight. I need to do some sessions where I only bring the 40831 and see how much I feel I am missing anything.

Peter

The 40831 is tiny in comparison to the sdl3! The apparent view is wide (though it isn’t quite as wide as the SDL at max zoom, and bright as you’d expect for the lower power, giving nice contrasty views that are pretty much sharp to the edge and virtually colour free (tiny bit of fringing top and bottom extreme edges if pushed).
Switching eyepieces takes a bit longer than for astro ones, lots more screwing in/out Colour balance appears about the same
The apparent field of view seems to match the SDL around 32x(?), though it’s hard to do the head to head comparison. I mostly focus with the coarse knob, but the fine adjust gets the view properly sharp.
The clickup eyecup goes about twice as high on the SDL, I don’t wear glasses and so tend to use the 40831 with two notches (out of three) to eliminate small blackouts if I press my eye right up against it.
The 40831 doesn’t come with a captive rubber cap like the SDL does, the existing bino 31077 Opticron eyecup guard seems to be a tight fit, but works well.

If you like running at max power then get the SDL, if you like a brighter and more contrasty image and don’t like the tunnel view at low power and can live without the highest mag then get the 40831 and save some money and weight. I need to do some sessions where I only bring the 40831 and see how much I feel I am missing anything.

Peter
Thanks a lot Peter, very useful. Broadly as expected, very good iq and similar FOV than that in the SDLv3 at equivalent magnifications, what conflicts with the marketing spill of "wider".

This finding is not surprising as it is consistent with other situations where benefits/improvement have been advertised and announced, but the specs to support those statements were never made available...and real life tests did not support those claims either.

Still nice products and decent value in their segment.

• brightness
  • FOV
  • eye relief

Nick
I recently purchased a MM4 60 GA ED/45 Travelscope + HDF T 15-45x Eyepiece. I bought it to give me a smaller and lighter alternative to my old Pentax PF-65 (plus Vixen 8-24mm eyepiece). I was expecting the Opticron to not be as good as my Pentax (even though 15 years old), but just lighter and smaller, so I decided to get the less expensive HDT eyepiece.

Well, it turned out that I like the Opticron a lot better than my Pentax, so I was kind of wishing I'd gotten the SDLv3 eyepiece instead (since the Opticron was going to be my main scope now).

Well, I can resist anything but temptation, so I bought a used SDLv3 (for $250 in perfect condition). So I now have both. Since I wear glasses, eye-relief is critical to me. One of the small complaints I had about the HDF eyepiece was that the ER at minimum zoom was actually too much, causing black-out problems. Then, when I zoomed in, it fairly quickly lowered the ER so that it was then somewhat less than I wanted (only somewhat, but noticable).

I had looked at the specs and the HDR is shown as having an ER of 22mm-17mm. This seemed to match what I was seeing with the scope. I know from experience that 18mm is the sweet spot for ER for me, and that 20 is a little too much.

The SDLv3 ER is shown as 20mm-18mm. So, hey, that seemed better and the reason I splurged and bought it. I can say having used it that it does seem better in just the way I wanted. I DO have some black-out problems at minimum zoom, but not as bad, and when I zoom in, the ER lowers some and is just about perfect for me, remaining so for the rest of the zoom.

As far as sharpness, brightness, and field-of-view, it is hard for me to say because I only have the one scope body (so it's hard to compare), and there's nothing that smacks you in the face as being different in these areas between the 2 eyepieces. I guess the SDLv3 seems somewhat wider but it's not significant, IMHO. They are both very nice.

One other thing - the HDF has the oddest twist eyecup design - turning it clockwise makes it go UP (huh?). The SDLv3 works the way every other twist eyecup I have ever used - clockwise goes DOWN, counter-clockwise goes up (ya think?!?). Another nice thing about the SDLv3 eyecup is that pushing down on it will not make it go down; you have to slightly lift up on it and then turn it clockwise to make it go down (you have to get used to this). This prevents you from collapsing it in use (although I use it fully down already).

So I can see why there are varying reports about whether the SDLv3 is worth the extra cost. If you wear glasses, I think it is. Otherwise, I think the HDF is about as good. Even with the ER being important to me, I don't think I would have spent the money for a new SDLv3, which is over $400 nowadays in USA (although it would have been cheaper had I bought it when I bought the body, so that would have been the way to go, in hind-sight). I got lucky finding it used and I think still worth doing.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back