• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seagull Rant... (2 Viewers)

My impression is it only works for a while - Woodpigeons are not used to recognise gulls as potential predators, but they learn fairly fast. After a few weeks, the numbers grazing on the sports field where it happened dropped, and they became more wary of gulls. That meant the gulls stopped catching, and gave up attempting. No doubt the cycle will run again when a new crop of Woodpigeons has forgotten the risks.

I used to have an office on Granville Island in Vancouver, BC. so it wasn't unusual to have lunch on the waterfront at the market. It's a busy place most times with lots of tourists, Glaucous-winged Gulls, a few Herring Gulls and the occasional Bonaparte Gull. The Glaucous-winged Gulls were fearless and would walk right up to you if there was a chance of a snack.

One clever Glaucous-winged Gull had it all figured out. It had learned that if it faked a broken wing it would get more handouts from the sympathetic but gullible tourists. I admit I fell for it.....once ;-)
As soon as it's academy award worthy performance had paid off it would miraculously be cured and fly off.
It was a lot of fun to watch it wobbling through the crowds on foot all the while looking pathetic. As I recall we had nicknamed it Grifter.
Cheers,
Bryan

I used to have an office on Granville Island in Vancouver, BC. so it wasn't unusual to have lunch on the waterfront at the market. It's a busy place most times with lots of tourists, Glaucous-winged Gulls, a few Herring Gulls and the occasional Bonaparte Gull. The Glaucous-winged Gulls were fearless and would walk right up to you if there was a chance of a snack.

One clever Glaucous-winged Gull had it all figured out. It had learned that if it faked a broken wing it would get more handouts from the sympathetic but gullible tourists. I admit I fell for it.....once ;-)
As soon as it's academy award worthy performance had paid off it would miraculously be cured and fly off.
It was a lot of fun to watch it wobbling through the crowds on foot all the while looking pathetic. As I recall we had nicknamed it Grifter.

How interesting! Worthy of a note in the Audubon magazine or some such, I would think. . ..

How interesting! Worthy of a note in the Audubon magazine or some such, I would think. . ..

Yes it was fascinating behaviour.
For the most part the other gulls there were fairly polite when it came to begging for scraps. I think they very quickly figured out that they're more successful if they just hang around your feet without being aggressive.
The Whisky Jacks (Canada Jays) up at Hollyburn on the local mountain on the other hand were/are very aggressive. Flying at you face in the hopes of startling you into dropping your hamburger as you walked to the picnic tables is a standard tactic.
Cheers,
Bryan

I've seen Herring Gulls kill and eat Woodpigeons - they slowly walk towards them until they find an unsuspecting bird, then from a metre or so away, run in and grab it. Most attacks unsuccessful, but some succeed.

I've seen a gull try to drown a merganser. I think it was a Herring Gull, but maybe a Great Black-backed. Senior moment ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back