• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sell the D300s while you can! (1 Viewer)

I use my D90 in low/poor light conditions like concerts and music shows (mainly metal and rock bands). Combined with Tokina atx116 2.8 and 50 f/1.8 from nikon, using ISOS around 1000 to 1600 I obtain nice images. Reading a extense review of the D7000, the photographer said that is the best DSLR on DX format ever built by Nikon, instead over the D300 and D300s. The new expeed2 have a great performance in low light conditions. Maybe if I need a second body I´ll order one, but not at this time. In the future if I can, I will go for the D300 replacement, because if D7000 is great what could we expect about the possible D400?? only time will tell...

Here is the review:
http://ishootshows.com/2011/01/11/review-nikon-d7000-– nikons-best-dx-camera/

The replacement for the D300 must take CF cards, got around 40Gb of CF cards now and I suppose over the years they cost a few hundred pound.

Or are Nikon looking at removing the DX sensor from its pro line up and the D300s is the last one.

Quick change the name of the thread to sell your CF cards while you can.......

No I don't think they will stop the DX sensor.

What I think will happen over the next few years is a merging of the product line, just as Ken Rockwell was writing about with the D7000. Users are now going to be more selective with their chose, hopefully the new line up will have a longer shelf-life than previous models.

Nikon should announce something next month, maybe a change of sensor? New coolpixs, or even a brand new camera, not an adaption?

I see that on the rumours site they have a patent for a 100-500mm lens, now whether this guy is going to supersede the 400mm zoom who knows. But it is going to be a one heck of a lens to have.

The replacement for the D300 must take CF cards, got around 40Gb of CF cards now and I suppose over the years they cost a few hundred pound.

Or are Nikon looking at removing the DX sensor from its pro line up and the D300s is the last one.

Quick change the name of the thread to sell your CF cards while you can.......

Must admit I have stopped buying CF cards as I think the writing is on the wall for them as I can see dual card slots both being SD in the future. Instead I have been buying much cheaper but slightly slower 16gb SD cards. I use the CF cards "in the field" but if I need extra storage, whilst away on holiday say, I just transfer them on to the SD card when I am back at base. Writing speed isn't that important then. With a camera like the D300s, the size of the buffer is as much a limitation as the card in the camera but it is fine for my needs.
As for ditching DX, I can't see it myself but I know nothing !

Same as what Canon has done with the introduction of the 7D.

Yes exactly Keith.

The 7D is the right camera at the right price, as is the Pentax.

If NIkon can bring out a box shifter too, the specification and cost will probably be higher than these two, but Nikon have covered their bases with the D7000.

Nikon will have to get their pricing right, if they keep with the same sensor technology. Revitalise the sensor along with clever marketing and it's a new ball game.

I see that the strongest rumour at the moment is a D800 which doesnt excite me. As a cynic I would say nikon have taken a hit on the D3 FX range with the D700 and as such will launch a D800 with a price that narrows the gap between the D3 DX range and the D700

Nikon phylosophy is to keep the bodies for at least 2 years. Then, in my oppinion we have to wait until see a D800. The logic next step for nikon would be replace the D300. This camera have been in the market for many time. Some of this main features are beaten now for the other brands. Remembar than D300s is only a patch that add video, but nothing else. But, only time will tell...

D300 still an excellent camera for wildlife. Decent AF (still better than 7D I believe), 1.5 crop, excellent handling, still very much a body of choice, or at least a solid backup, for top-line nature photographers. Canon doing well in this field now with Mk4, but Nikon still excellent.
However, the main point to say is that investment in good glass is more important than obsessions with different bodies.

However, the main point to say is that investment in good glass is more important than obsessions with different bodies.

Whilst true if you are buying a lens with Nikon or Canon you'd like to know where the body line is going so that you don't miss the boat!

Interesting times for us all..!

Well yes, but I do think we are all being taken for granted a bit by both Canon and Nikon. I know Sony beat Nikon into second place in overall DSLR sells, but it's both C&N good fortune to have a captive market.

Nikon should announce a new camera in February, I agree with Steve that it will be an 'inbetweener'. If it's not and has a larger FX sensor then there will be some anger from D3 users. But I have this awful feeling that it will be another facelift.

On the lens issue both C&N are not going to alienate their existing clients by bringing out bespoke lenses for a new body. If they did, then Sigma would clean up.

On the lens issue both C&N are not going to alienate their existing clients by bringing out bespoke lenses for a new body. If they did, then Sigma would clean up.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that when Canon went digital you couldn't use their old film camera lenses whereas with Nikon you could and can ?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that when Canon went digital you couldn't use their old film camera lenses whereas with Nikon you could and can ?

Nikon has not changed their mount configuration as far as I am aware, whereas Canon did, and needless to say really got up some Canon users skins. Nikon gained lots of clients at that point.

What will be more interesting to see what Nikon is gonna do in the pixel race... They already nibbling at higher pixels with the D7000.... Lets hope they dont go mad and join the 18Mpix+ race. I mean, we all know that 12Mpix is more than enough????

Regards

I mean, we all know that 12Mpix is more than enough????
Don't agree with that at all - more pixels is a fine thing.

4mp used to be "enough", then 6 mp was, then 8, then 10, then 12... the point is, there is no mp sweetspot, and certainly no reason to believe that 12 mp has some sort of inherent "magic".

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back