• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Several unknown birds in Yunnan Province, China January 2022 (1 Viewer)

I don't know about the paper guide but for online records in your area there are three international sites (that I know of) used to some degree all over the world; ebird, observado.org and inaturalist. These latter two are also good for other species groups.
I tend to use sites like these a lot to have a look at the options in various regions. I have only been to Western- Europe and Japan so maybe it is not the best comparison ever but hey...it is a start.

links lead to the yunnan-section of these sites.
inaturalist.org

ebird.org:

observation.org:

just a few words on these three (my personal comment)
US-based inaturalist is new, has an easy interface, no formal admins but tons of peers who review your records. in comparison Inat has a total of 2908 records of 488 bird species....near all with photos (used fairly worldwide but focus also on US-naturalists)
Dutch based observado.org is relatively old, their app is tough to install but then very, very useful worldwide. They have 1744 records of birds in Yunnan of 562 species (photo-records are mostly overseen by admins). Used mainly but Dutch/Belgian naturalists but increasingly so by other nationalities.
US-based ebird is comprehensive, pretty difficult in use but used widely by birders worldwide although the focus remains with US birders. It is the most complete with 881 species in 7931 'checklists'. To me, an infrequent user, it is not immediately clear how these records are moderated.

just my 2p
cheers
G erben

Last edited:
China is difficult as it's a huge country covering a variety of different biomes. There is a new, just-published version of the Guide to the Birds of China (MacKinnon and Phillipps) which covers the whole country. I can't give you any feedback as my copy hasn't reached me yet. Otherwise you're looking at a combination of Grimmett and Inskipp (Birds of India, etc.) for Himalayan species, Robson (A Field Guide to the Birds of South-East Asia) for species occurring over the border in Myanmar, Vietnam, etc.) and Brazil (Birds of East Asia) for species occurring in eastern provinces. Even then a number of species would slip through the net.
Arlott's Southeast Asia guide covers southern China and is maybe the best guide for Yunnan at the moment (although I've not seen the new China guides myself yet either). There's definitely a need for a really good guide to the whole of China.

I think this is out of date - it was published by OUP on 21 January. My copy was dispatched on the 17th but I haven't received it yet here in Bulgaria. I'm eagerly awaiting it but it's been quite a while and I'm starting to get a little concerned. :(
Oooh perfect thanks! will try and locate a copy of this online! Or get family in the UK to order it and send it to me!
It's always concerning when a purchase doesn't show up for ages.... Fingers crossed it arrives soon.

Arlott's Southeast Asia guide covers southern China and is maybe the best guide for Yunnan at the moment (although I've not seen the new China guides myself yet either). There's definitely a need for a really good guide to the whole of China.
Fantastic thank you! Yes I agree - there's this huge gapping hole that needs to be plugged with a book for just China that's for sure!

I don't know about the paper guide but for online records in your area there are three international sites (that I know of) used to some degree all over the world; ebird, observado.org and inaturalist. These latter two are also good for other species groups.
I tend to use sites like these a lot to have a look at the options in various regions. I have only been to Western- Europe and Japan so maybe it is not the best comparison ever but hey...it is a start.

links lead to the yunnan-section of these sites.
inaturalist.org

ebird.org:

observation.org:

just a few words on these three (my personal comment)
US-based inaturalist is new, has an easy interface, no formal admins but tons of peers who review your records. in comparison Inat has a total of 2908 records of 488 bird species....near all with photos (used fairly worldwide but focus also on US-naturalists)
Dutch based observado.org is relatively old, their app is tough to install but then very, very useful worldwide. They have 1744 records of birds in Yunnan of 562 species (photo-records are mostly overseen by admins). Used mainly but Dutch/Belgian naturalists but increasingly so by other nationalities.
US-based ebird is comprehensive, pretty difficult in use but used widely by birders worldwide although the focus remains with US birders. It is the most complete with 881 species in 7931 'checklists'. To me, an infrequent user, it is not immediately clear how these records are moderated.

just my 2p
cheers
G erben
This is great Thank you! I will look through any resource I can - I am at the real novice stage in the steep learning curve of bird identification and will hungrily look at as much info as I can lay my hands on right now! 🙃

The field guide part of the Merlin app doesn't yet cover China, but presumably will do anon.
It is possible to download the Merlin app and use adjoining regions to be able to see the species profiles, photos and sounds for most birds in the area. For example downloading a combination of the India:Northeast and Shanghai packs will let you view a good portion of the Yunnan birds. I find Merlin extremely useful in Southern China though I do wish there were a region specific bird pack.

Also, in terms of field guides, though entirely in Chinese except for species names The CNG Field Guide to the bird of China (中国鸟类观察手册)has excellent plates/drawings of the birds and up to date taxonomy (published 2021).

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back