• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sexing Short-eared Owls (1 Viewer)

PaulCountyDurham

United Kingdom
Hi all,

'Pictures taken Saturday morning just gone on the edges of County Durham, rough grassland/marsh area. 'Not sure if it matters in terms of sexing a bird but this is not far from the coast which may suggest that this bird is a migrant from Scandinavia or Russia about to return home.

My understanding is that males are lighter and less streaked than females. On that basis, I assumed this bird is a male (after looking 'round the internet and analysing pictures of males and females).

On the other hand, I read last night that the aforementioned criteria is not foolproof.

Male or female, and why? (same bird by the way).

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• SEO8.jpg
    SEO8.jpg
    648.7 KB · Views: 54
  • SEO8.jpg
    SEO8.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 56
This second portrait, Paul, is really gorgeous !!!! (y)
Thx.

'A very photogenic bird with a bit of light shining on him/her!

'Looks small to me although I appreciate it's not easy to tell when there's nothing next to the bird to compare with (males are smaller than females).

I do think it's a male though given how light the bird is. 'Was wondering if there are any other criteria outside of size, extent of streaking and shade of the bird.

The two local to me are a totally different shade. Didn't realise it was due to differences between the sexes until I looked in Collin's.

The two local to me are a totally different shade. Didn't realise it was due to differences between the sexes until I looked in Collin's.
You clearly did not read my earlier comment Andy. It is simply not true (contra Collins) the sexes are highly variable in tonal appearance such that females can be as pale as males and males as dark as females thus rendering sexing according to tonality unreliable.

Grahame

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back