• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shetland - best month for birding? (4 Viewers)

Boogieshrew

Hi,

I want to go to Shetland next year. Doe to work etc September may be the month that I can go.
Is that a good month for birding?
What would I likely see in September?

If Septembers not all that exciting, what's the best month for birding? I don't just mean for chasing rare migrants. I'm not much of a twitcher so I'm not fussed about that.

I would consider delaying to 2025 if it would mean much better birds. Perhaps may or June for breeders.

And another issue- midges. When can I avoid them?

Thanks

Hi,

I want to go to Shetland next year. Doe to work etc September may be the month that I can go.

If Septembers not all that exciting, what's the best month for birding? I don't just mean for chasing rare migrants. I'm not much of a twitcher so I'm not fussed about that.

I would consider delaying to 2025 if it would mean much better birds. Perhaps may or June for breeders.

Thanks
We went in May and it was fantastic, Puffins had arrived, Skuas were active, Gannets everywhere, pairs of Red-throated Divers all over and the Mousa Broch with singing Shearwaters. I've never been in September, but would imagine it would be good for migration, with a good chance of some rarities plus plenty of young birds still about.

only been to the shetlands once way back in 1989 and that was august/september for 9 days as a YOC trip, staying on fair isle for a week it was fantastic helping ring storm petrels, i think i handled over 10 birds. other birds seen/found were yellow breasted bunting 2 scarlet rosefinch corncrake red necked phalarope
we got a bollocking off one the ringers for releasing the corncrake from the heligoland trap as it was trapped and had blood on its head from trying to get out! never regreted it.
still loads of skuas about
then shetland for 2 days king eider , sabines gull and a laughing gull

that was 1989 so much must have changed

Hi,

Thanks
September is a key month for those wishing to search out migrants and rarities from both East and West. If you're after residents birds then May is fabulous with calmer waters for inter Island ferries, summer visitors and long hours of sunshine. A few midges in September but you're not going to avoid them in summer months, especially boggy damp areas. Perhaps contact BF member Penny Clarke who has relocated there from North Norfolk. A sometimes bleak series of islands yet the most beautiful beaches and breathtaking scenery.

If you're after residents birds then May is fabulous with calmer waters for inter Island ferries, summer visitors and long hours of sunshine.
If you are after resident and breeding birds I would actually go in June. Even calmer waters, more sunshine and floral display but also some of the specialities (particularly the phalaropes) arrive quite late. In the first half of the month it's still potentially good for migrants too, if the winds are right probably the best chance of things like Marsh Warbler.

If you are going in September then the second half probably has more migrant/vagrant variety. Midges are practically absent by then (possibly the ever-present breezes are an influence on that).

For breeders and spring migrants I agree with Stephen Dunstan.

John

I'm not sure Boogieshrew is focused too much on rarities but June would be worse for them midges things even if wanting breeding Phals.

I'm not sure Boogieshrew is focused too much on rarities but June would be worse for them midges things even if wanting breeding Phals.
I've never had a problem with midges on Shetland in June, I've been at that time on a few occasions and I'm so unconcerned I'm going late May / early June next year!

As with any location the quality and quantity of good birds is highly variable.
I have been twice in September, one great week and one real dud

I've never had a problem with midges on Shetland in June, I've been at that time on a few occasions and I'm so unconcerned I'm going late May / early June next year!
Is that due to you not being affected by them or that there aren't that many around? Quite a difference; some folks freak out at a single fly buzzing around.

Definitely May/June. Hardly gets dark (simmer dim) so you can bird for as long as you wish and still drive back to your accommodation on strange roads in daylight!

Red-throated Diver was nesting beside a layby overlooking a loch.

Is that due to you not being affected by them or that there aren't that many around? Quite a difference; some folks freak out at a single fly buzzing around.

Midges no issue, spent virtually all day sitting beside Loch Funzie, not one midge bite, worse thing that happened was getting tar on my trousers from the heat melting the road!!! Great views of the Phalaropes.

I'm not really bothered by them particularly, but my friend freaks out at the least sign of one. Never said a word.

Perhaps contact BF member Penny Clarke who has relocated there
Is that where's she's gone!! Cor lucky girl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back