• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I get some Hawke 10x42 (1 Viewer)

pastille

Canada
Good morning Jessie-66
I am on market for 10x42. I am between :
1.Hawke Frontier APO 10x42, 124m, 17mm, 2m, 740g
2.Meade 10x42 MasterClass Pro ED, 114m, 20mm, 1,5m, 907g
3.Athlon Optics Cronus Gen II UHD 10x42, 113m, 19,3mm, 2,5m, 787g
4.Celestron Regal ED 10X42, 113m, 20,2mm, 1,5m, 768g
5.Kite Optics Lynx HD+ 10x42, 122m, 17,5mm, 1,8m, 700g
I had a chance to try Kite Optics Lynx HD+ 10x42 versus Kowa BDII32-6.5XD.
My priorities : low CA possible (non-existent in center and lowest after 50% off center ), immersive view/easy to use, colours/sharpness/micro contrast.
After dozens of hours on internet, my conclusion is the optical scheme for my 5 choices is the same. Maybe coating is different. I hoped Hawke Frontier APO will be different with their APO lenses ... "better correction of chromatic and spherical aberration than the much more common achromat lenses", "Achromatic lenses are corrected to bring two wavelengths into focus in the same plane – typically red (~0.590 µm) and blue (~0.495 µm). Apochromatic lenses are designed to bring three colors into focus in the same plane – typically red (~0.620 µm), green (~0.530 µm), and blue (~0.465 µm).Apochromats are also corrected for spherical aberration at two wavelengths, rather than one as in an achromat."...
I must or not to buy Hawke ?
Thank you for your time/answer

I had an APO for a week, sent it back. (I highly recommend astroshop.de btw for their flexibility and customer care!)
Image is clear and sharp, CA doesn't exists (not kidding), but not bright enough (compared to Vortex Viper and Razor HD, they were much brighter), and the built quality was ridiculously low, it was a piece of crap. The rubber coating was not glued properly, it started to peel off before I received it, the left eyecup was loose, came off instantly, ergonomics are BAD, for me this bino was uncomfortable, eyecups are too wide, pinched my nose when set to my angle, even though my eyes are at a normal distance. Stirrups are really big and sharp, cuts into your hands, can get stuck when the bino is pulled from a bag or something. So for the externals, it's just ridiculous, or rather infuriating, it's the complete opposite of the glass performance! :(
Focus wheel is very loose, turns by itself at the slightest touch, and focus is sooo f***in' sensitive, it adjusts the focus so quickly, it destroyes your observation because of frequent overdo.
Made a lot of pics and videos (with strong backlight), just don't having time for sorting and upload them, maybe a bit later...
I'm very sensitive to CA, and I was surprised, when I tried the Razor HD (I was on the main square of a small town in the morning, bright sunlight, sharp objects, contrasty buildings and fountains around me) for the first time, despite the optica exotica YT review, I didn't experienced any CA, the ergonomics, the controls, the surprisingly low weight, the big FOV and the view made me fell in love with the thing, I was thinking maybe it's a new version, they made an update without a notice? Or just a very lucky piece?
I was interested in Nikons, but all of them have strong CA, even the HGs, so if you have the budget, I highly recommend to try the Razors, and the Vipers aren't bad either!

APM ED Apo 10x50 Magnesium is not in stock right now.
Delta Optical Extreme 10x50 ED, deltaoptical.pl refuses to respond to email. Strange !? Theoretically we can buy on their website ...
267-Test_lornetki-Delta_Optical_Extreme_10x50_ED.html (very interesting !!) in polish but you can use google translate ...
APO, Fujinon, Delta (all porro) have better depth of field than their brothers roof, individual focusing mechanism won't be a problem ...
It seems Delta is better than Fujinon in center, but inverse on the edge.
Fujinon FMTR-SX 10X50 vs Delta Optical Extreme 10x50 ED
APM 10x50 ED APO vs FUJINON FMTR SX 10x50 vs ZEISS CONQUEST HD 10x42,
Hawke Frontier APO 10x42 is expensive for nothing.
I am still looking for Celestron Regal ED 10X42. Good price.

My wife push me towards Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 ... maybe I must stay with my last decision Meopta MeoPro Air 10x42 HD ?!
If you don't care about the FOV, go for the Genesis. I don't have it, but I've only read good things about it, and the salesman at the local binocular store (who owns the 8.5x44) praises it to the skies, no CA at all! He's a decent guy, experienced, I have no reason to doubt him.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back